Middle & High School Groups

jenowen_enable

Middle & High School Groups

Postby jenowen_enable » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:42 pm

It is increasingly obvious that we are getting more and more middle and high school classes and groups working specifically on 3D printed e-NABLE designs and this would be a great place to share what your teams are working on and get to connect with each other so we can start working on sharing some curriculum to help each other improve these designs, learn better skills and make a difference!

Please share some info about yourselves!

1. Name of school/Group and Location
2. How many are in your R&D group.
3. What you might be working on that is related to e-NABLE designs.
4. What kind of departments have you pulled together to form your group on campus. (Engineering + Robotics + Electrical Engineers + Artists etc)
5. If you have a facebook/twitter page - please share a link!
6. If you would be interested in collaborating with other schools around the globe to start student led projects related to e-NABLE designs!
7. Anything else you would like to share!

Thank you all for everything you are doing to help create positive change in the lives of others! What you do with your ideas - matters!

hdurnin

Re: Middle & High School Groups

Postby hdurnin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 pm

F.E. Madill Secondary School (7-12), Wingham, Ontario, Canada
We are 2 teachers (Heather Durnin, Marc Westra) in our second year of working with 3D printers across 3 gr. 8 classrooms (~70+ students). We are just beginning to print our first "trial" hand on our Makerbot 2X Printer, and we're awaiting arrival of a 2nd printer (AirWolf's newest model). Although we are just beginning, we would be happy to collaborate with other schools.

crafty184

CrossRoads Middle in South Carolina

Postby crafty184 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi,

We're CrossRoads Middle School in Columbia, SC. We're an all sixth-grade school and this is an Introduction to S.T.E.M. Class. We've successfully delivered a hand to a girl here in SC.

We're working on learning more about the printing/assembling process including how we can help others learn to do the same.

We'd be glad to collaborate with anyone that wants to!

Thanks..

Chris

SEJ

Postby SEJ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi e-NABLERS

I am a dedicated teacher at a public school - Skolen i Peter Vedels Gade - for autistic kids within the normal spectre of intelligence.

At the same time I am developing a Learning Management System (LMS), which thematically will centre around 3D print, scanning and design with a focus on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) subjects. During 2015 we expect to become available to all students in the Danish public school, to move beyond the national boundaries from 2016 and on. What could be better than teaching our kids to design prostheses to the ones in need?

Because we want to deliver the best LMS possible, we are looking for experts to design and deliver workshops relevant to the theme. So, if you are a teacher dedicated to 3D print, or a 3D expert dedicated to teaching, I am very interested to hear from you. If you are interested, then contact me at simonellehammer@gmail.com or simon_ellehammer_j@skype.com.

Best regards,
Simon

Roberto Piovesan

Postby Roberto Piovesan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:28 pm

Agostiniano Mendel Middle and High School - São Paulo, Brasil
We are 3 teachers , in our second year of working with 3d design with sketchup software , and two 3d printer ( + 2 in 2015), 9 classrooms ( + - 100 students).
Although we are just beginning, we would be happy to collaborate with other schools.
Eng. Roberto Piovesan

srtompkins

Postby srtompkins » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Through a collaborative effort with the University of TN Knoxville we now have an Ultiaker 2 3D printer in our Learning Center here at Copper Basin High and Middle School, Copperhill TN. We like the idea of the eNable program but want to work towards a more local effort, helping the children and adults within our local region. We have successfully printed and assembled an eNable prosthetic hand with the health sciences class' HOSA Club and have garnered a lot of positive attention from within the school and community. I believe our fit into this effort would be the printing and assembly of prosthetic hands to specifications provided by an organization such as eNable but once again with a more local presence within the community. I will continue to research the eNable web site and others for such opportunities but it seems that most non-profit efforts primarily reach outside of the U.S. I am the high school's technology teacher and the director of the Copper Basin Learning Center, a non-profit educational organization within the school that provides STEAM educational opportunities. STEAM being Science Techonolgy Engineering Arts Math. Mr. Steve Tompkins stompkins@k12tn.net.

BlueMountainSurfer

Postby BlueMountainSurfer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Ohana Institute, Rosemary Beach, Florida. 3-12th grade small (70 students) private school. http://www.ohanainstitute.org/
I am the school counselor and also assist with the STEM program. We will have 3 leads for this program, but the entire staff will likely be involved. The Enable program fits our school in several ways. We utilize project based learning and hands on projects whenever possible and we also incorporate public service through a large variety of activities. Our STEM and art program has re-furbished, painted, and built bicycles for children of a local Indian tribe, Spanish class has laid concrete for a water system in Ecuador and imported coffee to help support a small village in Mexico followed by helping with the install of agricultural infrastructure paid from the coffee sales. Every week, we pack backpacks and distribute food for kids at a local food bank, etc, etc.
We are just getting started with 3-d printing, but all here at Ohana agree that the CAD and printing skills will be better taught through practicing on useful items rather than making doo-dads that will only contribute to our plastics problems. We have printed a Raptor hand and hope to develop a curriculum and build an Enable program to be implemented in Fall 2015. We are using a Flashforge Dreamer dual extruder, which allows use of a dissolvable filament for supports. We currently use 123D Design Program. We are open to recommendations as we expand our program.
We are a bit North from UCF (6 hour drive) but would welcome any opportunity to collaborate with UCF, or any larger group or university.
If you have already developed a MS/HS curriculum please share! msturdivant@ohanainstitute.org
http://www.ohanainstitute.org

magiwhitaker

Postby magiwhitaker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi, from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma!
To answer the general questions:
1. Name of school/Group and Location: Mount St. Mary High School, Robotics Team "Team Rocket" FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition) Team #2723
2. How many are in your R&D group. Our membership varies, usually 12 to 20
3. What you might be working on that is related to e-NABLE designs. We have successfully submitted a test hand and are eagerly waiting for a match..
4. What kind of departments have you pulled together to form your group on campus. (Engineering + Robotics + Electrical Engineers + Artists etc)Right now, we are the sole participants but, we expect that to change as we get geared up and the rest of the school understands the mission.
5. If you have a facebook/twitter page - please share a link! https://www.facebook.com/MSMRocketRobotics
6. If you would be interested in collaborating with other schools around the globe to start student led projects related to e-NABLE designs! Absolutely!!!
7. Anything else you would like to share!We have been awarded a grant to assist us in our efforts to work with eNable. We should get the funds in late October and will be purchasing a larger/faster printer, many spools of filament, a 3D scanner, software and a device that is supposed to allow us to make our own filament by re-cycling plastic soda bottles.

MrLewis

South African School, Crawford College La Lucia, Helping Hand Project

Postby MrLewis » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:13 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Grant Lewis, I'm a teacher at a school in South Africa (Crawford College La Lucia). We are privileged to have our own 3D printer.

I have a friend who volunteers at a orphanage for burn victims. He introduced me to a gentleman named Bongani who is missing his arm from below his elbow.

Myself and my Grade 8 class (12 /13 years old) would like to try and build Bongani an arm with a functioning hand.

We don't have any experience in such thing but we are an enthusiastic bunch.

If you are able to assist or advise please reach out to us we would appreciate all the help we can get.

Best regards

Grant

klewisd41

Postby klewisd41 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Hadley Junior High School, Glen Ellyn, IL
Computer Technology 8th grade class - 60 students each quarter
Looking to start building hands for kids as part of my curriculum. Planning on putting students in groups of 4 to 5 kids. Therefore, approximately 5 hands per class.

I would love to collaborate with others and share what worked well and how to do things better as I start this adventure with my students.

Return to “Curriculum Development”