The UnLimbited Arm

For discussion of arm designs.
droomurray

The UnLimbited Arm

Postby droomurray » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:34 pm

All,

Following the announcement of the UnLimited Arm Stephen and myself are continuing to refine the design and work through a backlog of improvements etc.

I appreciate we are yet to release the files to the public yet but have created this thread for any idea's / feedback / features etc that you may have on it.
Information on the device is here :- http://www.teamunlimbited.org/e-nablebl ... as-arrived

Drew and Stephen.

Nick Norris

Re: The UnLimbited Arm

Postby Nick Norris » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:25 pm

The only suggestion I could offer at the moment would be to make it possible to rotate the hand.

If you are looking for genuine feedback, I have a well experienced recipient that would certainly be willing to do beta testing. When you are comfortable with sharing files for that, please be sure to contact me.

Nick

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Nick thanks for the feedback, a rotatable hand is indeed I've thing we are looking at.

When it comes to beta testing i will be sure to let you know.

Drew

jameshs

Postby jameshs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:08 pm

My first go at a rotatable wrist.

Will try and document better.

Completely Alpha - will go on an arm in a couple of weeks to get feedback.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/rotatable-wrist

James
James

James Holmes-Siedle
jhs@allclear.co.uk
www.allclear.co.uk

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:30 pm

James were keen to look at adapting something like this to our arm, just a case of finding the time, but great work !

jameshs

Postby jameshs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:43 pm

I am sure you will make it look beautiful :)
James

James Holmes-Siedle
jhs@allclear.co.uk
www.allclear.co.uk

neelamkarle

Postby neelamkarle » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Drew and Stephen,

We are going to build the prosthetic hands for amputees in India, And will need your guidance.
We had build phonix hand parts for 8-10 year old amputee, And assembling it now.
Now We are interested to build elbow powered unlimbited hand for adult male & female. And as per the instruction on your page we will need to scale the stl files which are available on your open source. As per the male amputees hand measurement the scale factor is 175% which is exceeding 130%, Please suggest how we should proceed. Is there any link available for scaled hand version for more than 130 %?

My second concern is, if I am scaling the STL files to 130% for female amputee as per their measurement, Should I simply scale the files. Does the scaled hole (passage) in palm for passing the tendons will create any problem. :?:

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 pm

We are working on a solution to go about 130%

You will notice that above 130% the forearm will be to short compared to the non-affected arm.

BTW 175% is MASSIVE, I have never met anyone that would need anything this big, infact I am very confident you have your measurements wrong.

Drew.

neelamkarle

Postby neelamkarle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:36 am

Hi Drew,
I cross checked the measurements, And wanted to share with you how we arrived the measurements, to know where I am going wrong.
below is the table showing 100% measurements followed by female & Male hand numbers.

Elbow Joint To fingertip| Width of Hand| Length of Hand| Width of tricep cuff
100% 275 65 135 53
Female Hand measurements in mm
405 74 175 78
% 147 114 130 147
% Average 134
Male Hand measurements in mm
490 120 200 101
% 178 185 148 191
% Average 175

Thank you,
Neelam

neelamkarle

Postby neelamkarle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:44 am

Drew,

One more query about scaling, Do we need to bother for scaled passages (Holes) in palm for tendons.
We just need to simply scale all stl files without any editing & assemble it , Right?

Thanks,
Neelam

neelamkarle

Postby neelamkarle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:52 am

Drew,

Can we use the whipple tree mechanism of Phonix hand in the Elbow powered hand for giving leverage.

Sorry For Lot of questions. And thanks for your quick reply.

Neelam

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:20 pm

New arm out today, should solve your sizing problems.

http://www.teamunlimbited.org/the-unlim ... n-current/

Drew.

neelamkarle

Postby neelamkarle » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:33 am

Thanks a Lot Drew! :)
I will see the files, If any query, will trouble you ;)

Neelam

neelamkarle

Postby neelamkarle » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:07 am

Hi Drew,

We had taken successful trial of The UnLimbited Arm v2.0 - Alfie Edition.
We were very much pleased to see our first effort of giving the Prosthetic hand to an Indian Farmer.
Thanks for your New Prosthetic hand design.
He also gave us some feedback about the Hand which I would like to share with you.
He was not able to grip the objects and hold it properly, This may be because the Thumb location in our design is too far from the other fingers, The orientation of thumb is not like our original thumb.
I want to share some photos of him but I am not able to send it on forum, I will send it through Facebook

We know that the amputee was not using any Prosthetic hands for years so he has developed his own skills of using his hand. And we will need some time to train him using the Prosthetic. We will also need suggetions for his training

HANDaNewDream

Postby HANDaNewDream » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi everyone
one of my makers is trying to print the new UnLimbited Arm v2.1 - Alfie Edition. On Thingiverse the files provided are in .scad format, he can only print in .stl and he was (so far) unable to load the .scad files onto OpenCad and save them again in .stl.
Any ideas of how i can easily translate the .scad files into .stl?
Thank you
e

Ken Bice

Postby Ken Bice » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:25 am

Are you willing to use the Customizer to create the .stl files for you? The instructions for where to find it and what measurements you need to enter is all on that same Thingiverse page. I used it just this week and I am printing them now. You enter 3 measurements and it generates the .stl files and sends them to your email as a zip file. Very nice feature.

HANDaNewDream

Postby HANDaNewDream » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 am

Ken
got it! Fantastic! We are working on it at the moment.
Thank you very much
e

Ken Bice

Postby Ken Bice » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Glad you found that. All the best wishes for your printing and assembly.
I just completed my first Unlimbited arm yesterday having received the Customizer files five days earlier. Assembly was simple and the design elegant.
At the elbow joint I replaced the pin and buttons with "Chigago Screws" I bought at a horse saddle store but also available online. The strain was popping off the plastic buttons because I may not have lined up the holes well for range of motion.
One other design flaw is how the thumb is threaded, right where it leaves the wrist and enters the thumb. It is enough strain on the tendon line that the small rubber band isn't enough power. I may try to double band the thumb to solve this.

Return to “Arms”