Building a flexihand from Steve Wood

General discussion related to getting started.
Jonathan louis

Building a flexihand from Steve Wood

Postby Jonathan louis » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:01 am

Hi there, I'm Jonathan in London UK.
Im trying to get involved and create a hand to get enabled certified and start helping.
I have access to a couple printers and have almost completed the first prototype.
I would love to talk to others who have created this model and work out optimum print setting and configurations.
I don't know how to attach pictures of my prototype here but can ping them to anyone interested.
Please let me know if you have any experience in making these assistive devices and your story as a maker and helper.
Many thanks.
Jonathan

andrew615

Re: Building a flexihand from Steve Wood

Postby andrew615 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi Jonathan!

It's great that you want to help and be involved. I havent made a flexihand but I have made an UnLimbited Arm (V2) http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1672381

Could you share with us the settings that you're using and how your build is going? Be sure to include the printer you're using, the filaments you're using, the model, the slicer and all relevant settings.

You should be able to attach images by either dragging them into the message box/editor as you make your post OR clicking the "Attachments" tab underneath the editor then clicking the "Add files" button OR hosting them on an external site (like imgur) and including the image url on the page.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Jonathan louis

Postby Jonathan louis » Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi Andrew615.

So far i have almost completed my prototype using the following:
Ultimaker 2+ Extended
Polyflex flexible PLA filament (yellow components)
Floreon 3D PLA filament (red components)
Polymaker PolyPlus PLA (black tensioners)
The results are good for a first attempt, see images attached.
I am however after advice from the forum regarding cord to use for the tendons, i have tried various fishing lines and all seem to require a very high force to get the hand to close. What is a better alternative?
Any help/feedback would be great!
Many thanks in advance for replies.
Jonathan
Attachments
IMG_9371Small.jpg
IMG_9371Small.jpg (691.3 KiB) Viewed 409 times
IMG_9370Small.jpg
IMG_9370Small.jpg (603.04 KiB) Viewed 409 times
IMG_9369Small.jpg
IMG_9369Small.jpg (715.77 KiB) Viewed 409 times

andrew615

Postby andrew615 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Awesome job!

This may seem like a silly question but: did you attach the tendons to the gauntlet? I mean really attach them with the tensioning block and pins? I found that "just pulling" on the tendons made closing the hand very difficult. Once I fastened them to the tensioning block, it was easy to flex the joint and cause the hand to close.

What fishing line have you tried? I'm no expert but the following should work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FKSCPW/re ... th=1&psc=1 (get an 80-lb one in whatever length/color you want).

jtlandreneau

Postby jtlandreneau » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 pm

I prefer the braided line over the monofilament, it's more durable and actuates smoother

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GG1 ... th=1&psc=1

Return to “General Getting Started”