Minimum Build Volume

General discussion related to getting started.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gszczyrbak
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Minimum Build Volume

Postby gszczyrbak » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:01 pm

I have a M3D Micro with a base of only 109mm x 113mm x 116mm. I'm pretty sure that will be too small to get involved. What is the minimum build volume I should consider in a new printer if I want to eventually participate by printing prosthetics?

Thanks.

Jason M Bryant

Re: Minimum Build Volume

Postby Jason M Bryant » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 am

At that size, you can barely print a guantlet at 110%, which is generally only going to be good enough for a 3 year old. Getting a base that is at least 125x100 will let you make hands up to about 125%, which covers a lot of children up through about 12 years old. That will get a lot of people, so I'd say that's the bare minimum.

If you want to build hands for adults, my printer has a base that is 225x145 and that is just barely enough for any adult. It is *not* enough to print one of the thermoformed gauntlets that is printed flat and then melted to fit the shape of the recipient's arm. I can do those up to about 130%, but definitely not adult sizes.

So it depends on what you want to do, but bigger gives you more options.

LydiaOST

Re: Minimum Build Volume

Postby LydiaOST » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 am

Yeah, we usually recommend at least 6 inches by 9 inches so adult-sized parts can be printed. :)
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Return to “General Getting Started”