Do I need to be matched or can I just go for it?

General discussion related to getting started.
Ahmagahz

Do I need to be matched or can I just go for it?

Postby Ahmagahz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi!

Very interested in the project and have contact with a person willing to be a "test bunny".
Do I need to register as a volonteer or anything similar? Or can I just start rolling them out once I get the hang of it? I know quite a few people who may have suitable relatives who I would be interested in building for.

I would also like to ask if it is allowed to get financing (please note, absolutely not selling or requesting donations from users!!) but to ask if anyone in my community would like to chip in for materials, shipping etc. I know many of my friends would think this was a cool project but do not have the skills or access to the equipment to be involved more directly.

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Do I need to be matched or can I just go for it?

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:27 pm

For financing, the E-Nable Community Foundation website has a place where you can donate. As I understand it, most of these find to towards maintaining a matching system and outreach in places like Haiti. They can also chip in to purchase kits, if you're making a hand that has those. 3D Universe sells kits for Raptors, and maybe a couple others. I haven't checked in a while.

As for going ahead and making one or waiting for the matching system.... It's complicated. Generally, a volunteer would send in a test hand to show that they could make a safe and functional device. That being said, last I heard that matching system was pretty swamped and generally unable to handle the load right now.

If you're part of the g+ e-Nable community, and you've filled out the intake form, you're registered.

I'd try to go through the ECF first, before making your own. I hesitate to tell you to just go ahead without knowing more about your skills and judgment as a maker and the level of communication you have with the recipient, but if you can't get anything from them, going on your own is all you can do.

Post back and give updates on this, ok? If you have questions or concerns, people here will be happy to help.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Ahmagahz

Postby Ahmagahz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:36 pm

I haven't completed the intake form, I will do so. I am going to build a test and would be happy to send it in, am collaborating with an adult user who sees it more as a fun thing than that their life will be changed by it, which feels like a good place to start. With regards to financing/fundraising, I mainly ask as I know people who would gladly donate to a build I was doing (they feel involved) but would not donate to a foundation "far away". I will start with the intake form, I am regged in the g+ group.

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Ok, fire an adult doing this as a fun project, I would definitely recommend making an Osprey Hand, which can be found on Thingiverse. It's strong and comfortable, and is made to easily scale up to the size of an adult user. I'm using it now.

There's also a collection of fingers with claws added on, which I'm enjoying quite a bit.

If you have friends that want to pitch in to fuel this project, I don't see much wrong with that, though I'd still recommend donations of materials over money here. We usually discourage direct donation of money to volunteers to avoid any issues with them "selling" hands for "recommended donations" or exploiting families for monetary gain. I'm not accusing anyone if such things, but an organization has to cover their bases.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Return to “General Getting Started”