Best place to send finished hands?

General discussion related to getting started.
KoriTolfa

Best place to send finished hands?

Postby KoriTolfa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello Everyone! My name is Kori and I work for a library in North Texas. We have a 5,00 sq.ft maker space with a lot of experienced and eager to help patrons who want to make hands, and we were going to do our print/ build-a-thon in March.
We have already been approved for the raptor design and I am about to send in a test video of our phoenix v2 hand.
We have been wanting to do a print-a-thon for awhile now and make as many phoenix v2 hands as possible and send them out to a place where they will be used. we are expecting to make around 20-30 phoenix hands scaled from 110%-130%
My question is
Where is the best place to send our built hands?
I know hand challenge is no longer accepting any and I have already joined the web central, is there any group that will take the hands and match them or any place in general where we can send them? Thank you so much for your help, any advice is appreciated!!

Kori

mlarson

Re: Best place to send finished hands?

Postby mlarson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi Kori,

I've been trying to find someone to help print a hand (for myself), but so far no luck.

I've done some research and have watched just about every video I can find and am pretty sure I know what it is I'd like to build. In order to get started though, I am going to need a little advice from someone who is experienced on the technical side (sizing, etc.).

I live here in Austin.

If you have any suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks!

Mike

KoriTolfa

Postby KoriTolfa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Hey Mike!
I am not experienced with sizing a hand, but I am experienced with printing and assembling, If you can find out which device you need from enable and at what size I will be more than happy to print you a hand and send it :)
I live in Fort Worth so it should get there pretty fast. Have you joined the enable web central? you should be able to find someone help you choose what device and size on there.
Kori

mlarson

Postby mlarson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Hey Kori!

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I'm excited about getting this together! Ultimately, I'd like to get involved with this project here in Austin so it's good to know someone else here in Texas.

I'm still trying to find someone experienced with CAD to help me size it and get the file ready for printing.

Here's what I'm thinking so far... I don't know if you ever seen the video of Peregrine (I think his father was originally involved with this project). He made a "Talon" and that's kind of what I'm looking at. Here's the link to a video he put together https://youtu.be/rtojLN_BHts. I'm thinking of doing some of the mods that he's done. Of course, I would never expect you to build one of these, so I'm just hoping to get the 3-D printed pieces.

Anyway, as soon as I can find someone to help me get the design together, I'll get back to you.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to working on this!

Mike Larson
713-897-1729
(feel free to call or text me if you'd like)

KoriTolfa

Postby KoriTolfa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 pm

No problem! Unles you wanted to assemble it yourself, I am totally happy to print and assemble it for you
I have a bit of CAD experience, and have a really good slicing software that would be able to scale whatever .stl file I throw at it, if you dont mind me asking a few questions I might be able to help you out.
Again Ive only printed and assembled hands, and most things ive designed in cad are basic mechanical parts, so I'm not an expert, but I'm willing to help however I can!
Which hand is it that you would need the prosthetic for, and are you missing all of the fingers on that hand?
and do you have wrist functionality? and lastly would there be any mods you would need/want for the printed hand?

mlarson

Postby mlarson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:47 am

I do have pretty good wrist functionality and a bit of a palm and a short finger. Left hand. I like the Talon design, kind of like the one in that video. My thought behind all of this is to start with the basic design and to customize it in a way that a kid, or young adult, with this kind of disability would think it was cool to wear... kind of like some of the other high tech prosthetics we see for legs, etc. I actually like the robotic terminator or even steam punk look. As far as mods, I like the simple design with trimmer string for the tendons which not only close the hand, but can push it open too. That way you don't need the elastics. The tensioner he used in the vid is more streamlined than some of the others I've seem. It should be sized so it's the same size as the other hand, I've seen some that look like they're wearing a baseball mitt! Anyway, I think starting with the basic frame is the way to go. From there, it would be fun to play with and see what other kind of ideas come up.

KoriTolfa

Postby KoriTolfa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Hey Mike! Sorry it took so long to respond! I have been super busy with work and school and just saw your message.
I am happy to make your hand, It may take a few tries to get it right but I will try my best. Right now we are doing a print/build a thon at my library using the Phoenix V2 design, If you want since we have will have a lot of them already printed would you want me to send you one to see if you like it? and in the mean time i can make Talon design for you too.

if you still want one I am happy to make it, I will just need to scale it and modify it for you, do you have a pair of calipers (a ruler would work too but calipers would be more accurate) and if so would you mind measuring the width of your wrist, width and length of your palm, and width and length of your finger? Even better if you can take a picture with your hand and measuring device this way I can get a good idea of what needs to be done to get it to fit :)

If you want please feel free to email me the pictures at kori.tolfa@gmail.com

Return to “General Getting Started”