Tensioners

For R&D discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
LydiaOST

Tensioners

Postby LydiaOST » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Just testing this topic. Feel free to remove it if its still empty two weeks from now. :)
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Jason M Bryant

Re: Tensioners

Postby Jason M Bryant » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:19 am

Well, this is excellent timing, since I just posted a new tensioner that needs testing!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:683357

This is the Grip Balance Box, a replacement for the tensioner on the Raptor Reloaded. It takes a little more effort to wire up, but it gives the hands adaptive grip. Instructions are on the thingiverse page.

I'd love it if anyone can download it and test it. All you need is a Raptor Reloaded to put it on.

hertfordkc

Postby hertfordkc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:33 pm

I don't like the tensioners using tiny screws into tiny pieces of plastic. The right size screws can be hard to find in the boonies (a lot of places), and strip out of the smaller designs. I'm really interested in the designs by Steve Woods, Skip Meetze, and Jason Bryant. However, I'm not seeing any feedback on how well the designs work in practice. Is there a total disconnect between those with the ideas and those making and assembling the hands? Absent any feedback, I'm going to try one of these variations on my next build. I'll print and deliver both ways, but I'll assemble the screwless version.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:31 pm

I agree, screws can be a pain. I had to get someone to order them online for me, since they aren't really sold in hardware stores here in China.

I tried to think of a design that could add more tension to the wires without screws, but the limits of what you can print made the designs too large and unreliable. I'd be interested in any screwless design ideas.

Skip Meetze

Postby Skip Meetze » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 pm

The adaptive grip tensioners are still what we should call “Experimental” designs. Jon Schull has recently proposed an outline of how e-NABLE R & D will advance the designs from Experimental to Beta to Release https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aEU ... 2czrws2qxc.

The guideline says we should be publishing pre-Release designs on github rather than Thingiverse and YouMagine. It will take a bit of learning for most of us to make the transition. The outline also says the pre-Release designs should be labeled with the word “Experimental” in the plastic (somewhere discreet like inside the gauntlet or palm).

In the case of experimental tensioner designs, it will be very valuable if you can build the standard handomatic design and a way to change it to the experimental design, then to observe the recipient using both designs for comparison. How to work that out will take some thought, but it should be fun. Hopefully, the recipients will be glad to help find the best design.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Please note Jason the latest version you have posted is very close to being printable via S3D.
Attachments
Simplify3D__Licensed_to_Drew_Murray_.png
Simplify3D__Licensed_to_Drew_Murray_.png (45.59 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:11 pm

What resolution are you printing at? .2mm?

What size is the part. 100%?

Thanks.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:25 am

Jason,

Yes .2mm at 100%

I know you indicated printing at .1 however my printer is optimised for .2 :-/

Please note that even if I slice it at .1 I still see a problem :-/

Drew.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:14 am

This is very strange. The area that's having a problem is thicker than .2mm. It should be able to print. I'm sure I could keep thickening that place until it works, but this seems like a problem with your slicer.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Drew, give the swivel pin another try. It's the exact same geometry, I just didn't rotate it on its side this time. That's not even necessary anymore anyway, it was just a holdover from an earlier iteration.

According to slic3r, this should have two whole layers in the area where you're showing problems. If this doesn't work (and even if it does), then you should report the problem to the designers of your slicer.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:56 am

One other thing, Drew. If the new swivel pin doesn't work, would you also try to print out a tensioner pin from the Raptor Classic?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:476403/#files

My pin is based on that. With the extra thickness it has now, it is actually thicker than the original tensioner pin. If the tensioner pin from the Raptor Classic can work and my swivel pin still can't, then I'll know something really weird is happening.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Drew, did you get a chance to try printing with the new orientation?

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Jason,

Think I have worked out the problem in my slicer, will run another test print :)

Drew.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:42 am

Gripper Box 3.0 is ready!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rpln62laoxan ... BctVa?dl=0

The whippletree is all one piece now. So far the strength of it seems fine. The snap pins on the last version never actually spun around anyway, so making it a solid piece shouldn't change anything.

The advantage is that it is easier to assemble and vastly easier to wire up.

An odd side benefit is that a gripper box now only requires printing 4 pieces, while the standard tensioner box takes 6! It's almost a simpler device.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:13 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the new Gripper Box.

Here's what it looks like assembled. This isn't exactly the gripper box. My test hand is currently wired into a version of the Raptor Wing, so the box is a little longer. However, this is what the new whippletree looks like inside the box.

DSCF3197.JPG
DSCF3197.JPG (65.6 KiB) Viewed 3908 times

Here's what the new whippletree looks like side-by-side with the old one. It's a little thinner, requires no assembly, and you don't have to pry the plates apart to thread it.

DSCF3196.JPG
DSCF3196.JPG (43.15 KiB) Viewed 3908 times

LesHall

Postby LesHall » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:18 pm

I would like to use one of these tensioners on my Spidey Sensor TnT hand that will measure touch and temperature. Can someone with a design for the Raptor Reloaded send me a set of STL files that replace the existing tensioner? Thanks

Les
deltamodulator@gmail.com

joecross

Postby joecross » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:40 pm

LesHall wrote:I would like to use one of these tensioners on my Spidey Sensor TnT hand that will measure touch and temperature. Can someone with a design for the Raptor Reloaded send me a set of STL files that replace the existing tensioner? Thanks

Les

Les - join the beta test party!!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110

Return to “General R&D”