Swiss Army Hands

For R&D discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
LydiaOST

Swiss Army Hands

Postby LydiaOST » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:34 pm

Picatinny hands and terminal devices among other things.
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Aaron B

Re: Swiss Army Hands

Postby Aaron B » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:32 am

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:42 pm

I've been wanting some swiss army features in my hand for a while now. I don't think any of them could be printed, but you could make a hand with slots that could fit attachments.

Of anyone wants to have a go at this, I've got a few ideas for attachments...

Alligator clip (in the pinky)
LED
Knife
Snips/wire cutter (I use them in my job. No idea how useful it would be for others).
Bottle opener (in the bracer or palm?)
Tweezers slot? (See actual swiss army knives for what I'm talking about)

You could probably put one of those tools that pulls apart Lego too, for people that do that a lot.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

hertfordkc

Postby hertfordkc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:49 pm

This makes all kinds of sense to me. More than anything, we should respond to the suggestions of the end users of the designs.
One thing that has slowed me down is lack of an attachment mechanism which is indifferent to scale factors. For example, a bottle opener can be the same size whether the hand is being scaled to 140% or 170% but the rail we currently use is sensitive in all axes. I suppose it would work over some range, but the idea of putting the load on thinner parts of the mechanism is not appealing. I may have overlooked something which has already been covered, so please share the links. I'm not easily embarrassed.

Peregrine Hawthorn wrote:I've been wanting some swiss army features in my hand for a while now. I don't think any of them could be printed, but you could make a hand with slots that could fit attachments.

Of anyone wants to have a go at this, I've got a few ideas for attachments...

Alligator clip (in the pinky)
LED
Knife
Snips/wire cutter (I use them in my job. No idea how useful it would be for others).
Bottle opener (in the bracer or palm?)
Tweezers slot? (See actual swiss army knives for what I'm talking about)

You could probably put one of those tools that pulls apart Lego too, for people that do that a lot.

LydiaOST

Postby LydiaOST » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:23 am

I bet a Tweezers slot could be designed into the top of the palm or somewhere on the bracer. :)
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

laird

Postby laird » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:08 pm

In a parametric model (e.g. Hand-O-Magic) we could make the rails a fixed size while scaling everything else. What would the desired dimensions be? I am sure that one of the OpenSCAD programmers here (me, Les, Nathaniel, etc.) could make this happen.
- Laird Popkin

Rickee

Postby Rickee » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:31 pm

I've made an OpenSCAD model of this idea with slightly modified rails and a newly designed palm. It's not perfect yet but here's what it looks like!

ag_3.png
ag_3.png (86.6 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

OpenSCAD

ag_1.jpg
ag_1.jpg (823.9 KiB) Viewed 2202 times

Test Print

ag_2.jpg
ag_2.jpg (623.15 KiB) Viewed 2202 times

Test Print w/ Attachment

Return to “General R&D”