Sporting Adaptive Devices

For R&D discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
Jpc5829

Postby Jpc5829 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:34 pm

The goal of this forum is to help young athletes who suffer from upper limb abnormalities. This group, that I'm calling the "e-NABLE Sport Innovation Team", will collaborate to research, design, and manufacture new or existing adaptive sporting devices for those in need. I'm hoping that the members of this forum will actively read the posts, and give their input, advice, or expertise on the different topics.

Also, this forum will ensure that no one misses a sporting device post on the e-NABLE Google+ community page, which can be difficult to keep up with.

Lastly, although e-NABLE is known for 3D printing, 3D printed materials have restrictions and may not always be the best solution to a problem. Therefore, the devices conceived don't necessarily need to be composed of only 3D printed parts.

Thank you,

Joe Clifford

Jpc5829

Re: Sporting Adaptive Devices

Postby Jpc5829 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:53 am

To help kick this forum off, I will explain what I have worked on this semester as an Independent Study Researcher in the e-NABLE Laboratory at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

Case 1:

Lusie (who some of you may know from the e-NABLE videos) is a young girl who would like to get rid of the training wheels on her bicycle. Lusie has an upper limb abnormality and only has a residual elbow. To try and help her ride her bike, I have redesigned the RIT Gripper Thumb Hand 2.0 that Skip Meetze has created. It includes magnets that will stabilize the hand on metal handlebars, but will also allow the hand to detach easily and quickly in the case of a fall. This hand is compatible with the Training Arm, that was also created in the RIT e-NABLE, which Lusie has been testing out. The hand can be seen in the attachments below. Lusie will try using the bike-riding attachment this weekend, and I'll be sure to update this post.

Case 2:

Candon is a young boy who suffers from a paralysis in his one hand and forearm, but he can move his elbow and shoulder. He, too, wants to ride his bicycle with no training wheels. His one hand is normally closed in a fist, but it doesn't hurt him to position his fingers around an object (such as a handlebar). Something that would be helpful for him would be a device that comfortably clamps his fingers and hand around a handlebar, but can also disconnect easily. This is what has been conceived so far, which consists of a two piece Velcro assembly. One piece is a "cuff" that can wrap around his wrist and has a magnet on the bottom side (magnet not visible because it sits in between the Velcro and cushioning). The second piece wraps around the fingers, knuckles, and top side of his hand to prevent his hand from trying to release from the handlebars. The second piece, also, has a magnet attached, that has been stitched into place. The combination of the Velcro and the magnets help to keep the hand gripped onto the handlebar, while still allowing the device to easily detach in the case of a fall. The Velcro assembly can be viewed in the images attached.

That's all for now!
Attachments
Bike Hand with Magnets.png
Bike Hand with Magnets.png (221.43 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Bike Hand Latched to Handlebars.png
Bike Hand Latched to Handlebars.png (243.53 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Velcro Clamping Device.png
Velcro Clamping Device.png (226.32 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Magnet Pinching Velcro.png
Magnet Pinching Velcro.png (132.84 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Magnet Stiched into Velcro.JPG
Magnet Stiched into Velcro.JPG (14.57 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

Auroredah

Postby Auroredah » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 am

Not of that kind anyway. All of the hardware, even some stuff that wouldnt work on W7. Why dont you check for new or different MB drivers.

PeterBinkley

Re: Sporting Adaptive Devices

Postby PeterBinkley » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Here's a bike-riding device I designed. The user tested it out on a bmx course yesterday. I can't wait to hear back. As soon as I gave it to him, he rode up and down the street a few times and it seemed to work well. It's printed in Bridge nylon for strength and flexibility. It is meant to be worn with a sock for comfort and to wick sweat. I coated the exterior of a cotton/poly sock with some silicone kitchen/bathroom caulk, and it seemed to work great.
Attachments
PC100068b.jpg
PC100068b.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1386 times
PC100066b.jpg
PC100066b.jpg (608.72 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
BikeGlove1.4.JPG
BikeGlove1.4.JPG (102.96 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
BikeGloveb1.4.JPG
BikeGloveb1.4.JPG (100.23 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
BikeDevice01.JPG
BikeDevice01.JPG (47.01 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
BikeDevice02.JPG