Cabling: Strings and Things

For R&D discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
PeterBinkley

Cabling: Strings and Things

Postby PeterBinkley » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:06 am

This is a discussion of different cabling materials and considerations for cable-driven mechanical devices, such as arms and hands.

PeterBinkley

Re: Cabling: Strings and Things

Postby PeterBinkley » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:23 am

These are materials I've used for cabling.

1. Braided fishing line, 80-pound to 250-pound. Dyneema or similar low-stretch material.
2. Landscapers' trimmer line, which is just a very thick nylon monofilament.
3. Deep-sea fishing line, 1.2mm (150-pound) to 2.4mm (600-pound) nylon monofilament line, depending on the application and print scale. This is by far my favorite material.

**I think that nylon monofilament fishing line less than 1.0mm (100-pound) is *not* suitable for mechanical devices, even for small children, because it has too much stretch and too much flex.

AdamArabian

Postby AdamArabian » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:08 am

I concur on the <100lb line, though for a different reason - I didn't see significant stretch (I saw lots of compliance in the hands, but not a lot of line stretch) but significant bend resistance; this is a nonissue for dyneema and curtain cord since its highly pliable, and a nonissue for the very heavy lines as they are used for push-pull, but the standard ranges of monofilament are unsuitable due to being the nasty valley of non-compliant and non-pushable.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:45 am

I have been using this 1mm cord without any issues, I also have it in white to use on different colour devices.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190828460055? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Drew.

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:19 pm

So far my favorite cable, by far, is 2mm nylon monofilament fishing line in a Bowden system. It was a little stiff at first, being resistant to bending, but after a bit of use, it's perfect. I can try lifting anything without fear of breaking anything, I get NO stretch in the cables, and I can forego the elastics entirely, which had it's own wealth of benefits.

Smaller hands, of course, can't accommodate cables that massive, but 1-1.6 mm cable would work for those.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Return to “General R&D”