New filament development

For R&D discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
Piret

New filament development

Postby Piret » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:26 am

Hello!

I am a Masters' student in a university in Estonia. I am working on developing a filament for FDM technology based 3-D printers. The base material that I am using is recycled PA-12 powder that is left over from SLS process. I am aiming to develop a material specifically for printing limb prosthesis. Also, I am aiming to be more environmentally friendly by using some recycled materials, plus hoping to lower the price of the filament.

Since I don't have any experience with prostheses, I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions regarding which specific properties this material should have? Also, what improvements, compared to materials currently in use, are you wishing for?

I am looking forward to your input!
Many thanks,
Piret

LydiaOST

Re: New filament development

Postby LydiaOST » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:35 am

Yay! Glad to see you on here, Piret! I tagged a bunch of people about this on Google + for you. Hopefully some of them will respond within a few days. :)
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Piret

Postby Piret » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Thank you! =)

Unseen

Postby Unseen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:05 pm

I do know one thing that you might want to keep in mind is the amount water that polymer absorbs. Also how the polymer interacts with the skin. some polymers for some reason really irritate people skin. The basics are also important like shear stress, strength, brittleness, etc. also think of different additive that are in the polymer and how they will be interact with the nozzle of the print. EX: glass filled filament would cause the glass to go under masses amounts of shear stress and break apart the fibers, and degrade the nozzle of the prints fast than a non filled resin.

Creating new filament is actually a really cool topic to look at. If there is any way I can help please let me know.

Piret

Postby Piret » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi!
Thank you for your response!
Do you know if there exists a table with exact minimum requirements (shear stress, strength, etc.) for materials that are suitable for prostheses?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 pm

In me experience, as the guy who specializes in breaking hands, the real point of failure is the adhesion between layers. It's almost never the layers themselves that break, it's always delamination.

Another nice feature is if there's a readily available solvent that allows you to temporarily vitrify the outside to make a glossy smooth shell. That makes it look nice, and makes them far easier to clean.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Piret

Postby Piret » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:56 am

You are making some very great points, thank you for the information!

Regarding the vitrifying solvent, does it really give only a temporary glossy effect or is the effect temporary because the surface just roughens up again due to the hand being used?

LydiaOST

Postby LydiaOST » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:38 am

Hi Piret,

Have you heard of FilaStruder? Its a DIY filament extruder (PID controller, heater, etc.), TPU pellets are supposedly what things like Filaflex and Ninjaflex are made out of.
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Piret

Postby Piret » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:41 am

Hi Lydia,

No, I haven't heard about FilaStruder, but I just checked it out. The filament maker that I have been looking into is called Filabot.
It's like as if you read my mind, I just recently got introduced to Nijaflex and was wondering what it could made of. TPU is definitely something I have to familiarize myself with. Thank you for all the valuable hints.

I watched the recording of the hangout where injection molding prosthetic hands was discussed, it sounds like some exponential improvements may take place in the near future!

LydiaOST

Postby LydiaOST » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 am

Hi Piret,

I'm glad I could provide little pieces of info for you. :)
Peregrine was saying that if you use the solvent, the vitrifying is temporary, but the smooth finish stays. There are Youtube videos about it. Maybe use "ABS smooth finish" for some key words. "Acetone Vapor Smoothing" is another phrase I've heard. Acetone supposedly only works to smooth ABS, not PLA or the Flexible filaments, but you are in a great position to experiment with all of this. We'd love to see data from any experiments you've already done. Maybe you could start a new Experiment Results topic under general R&D if you like the idea of sharing results. I've also come across videos about what materials dissolve in what chemicals, including water. I've found that 3D printers have made me into a Materials geek.
--Lydia

Piret

Postby Piret » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the additional information!
I would have to wait with sharing my results until I get something more tangible. Currently I am also waiting for a piece of equipment to be bought, that would speed up the process.

Return to “General R&D”