the plan

billsistler

the plan

Postby billsistler » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:45 am

I started my students with tinkercad using it to explore what has been accomplished or for gathering ideas. After they have created an account I suggest to them to work through the various videos that explain how to use various functions. After they have created something they are required to save it to their folder on line and also save it to their school based computer. After review we might print for a hard copy or may be put back into the cycle for improvement.

Bill
Bill Sistler
Sebastian River Middle School
Sebastian, Florida

karyn

Re: the plan

Postby karyn » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm

I also like Tinkercad as an "on-ramp" for students to get introduced to the design component of 3D printing. If you do print out some of your students' work, please post some pics!

Karyn

billsistler

Postby billsistler » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:44 am

As all good clubs go, they are sometimes compared to the activity of 'herding cats." They created farm tools, but we did not download nor print them. They were more interested in building hands for those who don't have fingers, etc. So, we are building as many hands as possible to hopefully have at least 20 by mid-April. They are the Raptor Reloaded variety. They are learning the find art of cleaning up the printed parts to make the final fit of all the parts as smooth as silk.
Bill Sistler
Sebastian River Middle School
Sebastian, Florida

davidmaulik

Postby davidmaulik » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:20 pm

One tool I really like for cleaning up 3D print screw holes or holes for snap pins, is a countersink/pilot hole tool, something like this http://www.amazon.com/Makita-784828--In ... ountersink

You can use it by hand like a screwdriver and if you have a drill bit that is smaller than the hole the drill bit allings the tool and then when you "counter sink" it applies a small chamfer that cleans up the hole and makes it easier to install snap pins or hardware.

Using the tool by hand makes it less likely that you will make the hole too large. It is also a lot safer than using an exatco knife or a drill to clean the hole up.

Return to “Curriculum Development”