Can hands be printed with a resin based SLA printer?

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
nicholas_p

Can hands be printed with a resin based SLA printer?

Postby nicholas_p » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 pm

My school just purchased a Formlabs Form 2 SLA printer, and I was wondering if e-NABLE designs can be printed with this type of printer. Has anyone ever printed a limb with a resin based printer? If so, what were the results?

The parts that have been printed so far with the Form 2 have had great results. The only problem is that they cannot be thermoformed like regular parts can. If I were to make a hand with the Form 2, I would most likely use it to print all parts except for the thermoformed gauntlet.

Thanks in advance for the help,
NP

Jfwinston

Re: Can hands be printed with a resin based SLA printer?

Postby Jfwinston » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:11 pm

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment on this, but I see no reason why parts made from an SLA printer would be unsuitable for an assembled hand. If the print quality is high, and the parts fit together with minimal interference, the hand should function as designed.
Co-lead at e-NABLE Portland, mechanical engineer, and no idea what I'm doing

Dukenukem117

Re: Can hands be printed with a resin based SLA printer?

Postby Dukenukem117 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 am

Only issue may be size. The build platforms for those are pretty small so its possible you may need to split parts up into smaller pieces and bond them together.

Return to “Technical Q&A”