Standards for Printed Parts

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
Unseen

Standards for Printed Parts

Postby Unseen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I will post it here anyways.

With 3D prints becoming more and more common, I was wondering if there was a standard for the printers and their printed parts. The standard would help prevent printers from taking short cuts and making not as structurally sound parts. It would be shame if people receiving the arms has it fail shortly after getting it because of poor quality standards on our part.
Also as stated above with more 3D printers coming out onto the market, some have lower resolution for a much lower cost. I am not sure how drastically this would effect our hands but it is something to think about.

I am not sure if this is a problem in the community but I thought it might be a good idea to set up some safe guards to make sure we are producing quality parts.

joecross

Re: Standards for Printed Parts

Postby joecross » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:31 pm

What would you suggest? Most posts seem to revolve around infill, shells and layer height since those are the main variables that are shared across all slicers and printers. For those, I feel like there is a fairly accepted standard: 40%, 3, .2mm. Some people tweak those based on the part and scale they printing, but many simply print the whole hand in one plate with the above settings.

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Standards for Printed Parts

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Before someone can be matched with a client, they need to print and assemble a hand and send it off to be approved. It's not a perfect process, but it's something.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Return to “Technical Q&A”