SOLVED: Filament Slipping in Extruder

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
joecross
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SOLVED: Filament Slipping in Extruder

Postby joecross » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:44 am

I am having a problem with the extruder clicking loudly and slipping, but only with certain filaments. At 40mm/s and .2mm height with 1.75 PLA, some filaments slip intermittently. I thought it was a mechanical problem with the extruder except that the filament sent with the printer NEVER slips.

Is it possible that the filament I bought is inconsistent in width and sometimes is more than 1.75mm so that it overloads the flow rate of the extruder? Or maybe it is less than 1.75mm and is too thin for the extruder to grip onto?

Any help appreciated.

Joe

joecross

Re: SOLVED: Filament Slipping in Extruder

Postby joecross » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 am

Turns out that this was a simple matter of me using new filament and not measuring it for thickness. The new filament is thicker than the previous filament, so it was laying down too much plastic when I used the same flow/feed rate settings. This caused my nozzle to ride on top of the previous layer instead of hovering right above it. Because the nozzle was on top of the previous layer, there was no way for the extruder to push through new filament and so it kept slipping.

I lowered the flow rate (to 30mm/s from 40mm/s) and problem solved!! I guess I need to invest in a micrometer next ;)

Return to “Technical Q&A”