Scaling....HELP!

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
NorthMiddleSchool

Scaling....HELP!

Postby NorthMiddleSchool » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 am

I am trying to build a hand before I commit to helping an actual person so I do not disappoint! I ran into trouble getting some of the Cyborg Beast parts to print so I switched to Raptor Reloaded and they are printing fine, however the pieces are way out of proportion. I cannot locate the information for the sizes I need to make a reasonably proportioned hand. I realize that when we start building for clients that we need to get more exact measurements for the individual but I am looking for just some sizes for a practice hand. I am really stuck ...and practicing printing is using up pricey filament. I am totally willing to buy filament myself if we can get this going. I am using an un-networked (thanks to the IT bureaucracy in my district) Dremel printer. I have the files and can get them into Autodesk Print Studio - which seems to be the only program the printer likes. I then transfer the files onto the micro flash drive that came with the printer. I have not gotten any other flash drives to work with the printer. I have to do the scaling on my home computer as I have not gotten the IT department to put Print Studio on the school's computers yet, however I making headway in that department. Any help or links to how to scale is greatly appreciated. I am running into a lot of roadblocks but I really want to make this work and get some hands out there.
Mike

samsuchin

Re: Scaling....HELP!

Postby samsuchin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Hello,

If you are wondering how to scale for practice and other uses, this photo might help you a lot. It shows a correlation between the age and hand size using some data from Enabling The Future. Hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Attachments
scaling chart.png
This is it!
scaling chart.png (246.28 KiB) Viewed 318 times

mlarson

Re: Scaling....HELP!

Postby mlarson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is probably not your typical request. I'm in my 50s and was born with ABS. I an across one of the e-nable videos and thought how cool it would be to build a hand myself with the idea of ultimately getting involved.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help in setting up the hand (sizing, style, design, etc.).

For those of you that have been around this for a while, maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Mike

Return to “Technical Q&A”