Required cord strength

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
joecross

Required cord strength

Postby joecross » Tue May 05, 2015 11:25 am

I visited a fishing tackle shop today and saw dozens of different kinds of braided line. Most were in the 10-30 lb test range. So what is the actual strength that the cord needs to be? Most of the recommendations I've are in terms of diameter, but some of these were as small as .14mm diameter. I'd like to use small cord for small hands but don't want it to break easily.

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Required cord strength

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Fri May 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Most recommendations are based on cable diameter because the point of failure is less the cord breaking, and more the cord sawing through the plastic fingers. Thicker cords have a duller 'blade' so to speak.

I doubt you need a cord stronger than about 50 lb test for any hand, but cables are usually the last thing to break in a hand.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

PeterBinkley

Re: Required cord strength

Postby PeterBinkley » Tue May 19, 2015 10:48 am

Agreed. For braided cable, I wouldn't go any smaller than 50lb for a small child's device, just because of the diameter. The smallest I've used is 80lb, and that was for a two-year-old. Any smaller than that and the cable will saw into the plastic and stick in the groove. For most kids' devices I'd use 150lb line, and 250lb for adults. I know it sounds like overkill, but when you string up a device you'll see what I mean. I'd suggest shopping online.

I also happen to think that heavy-gauge nylon monofilament is the best cabling for these devices, but that's another topic.

Return to “Technical Q&A”