How much material do you use per prosthesis in average?

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
pastanro

How much material do you use per prosthesis in average?

Postby pastanro » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Hello, everyone.

We're a group of students interested on helping out with this great project, but we're still in the planning stages and, in order to get help, we need some information regarding the costs of producing the prosthesis

How much and what type of plastic do you use in average for a small child's prosthesis? What about a bigger one?

We're interested in hands and arms from different models.

Many thanks in advance!

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: How much material do you use per prosthesis in average?

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:33 pm

For hands, usually one kilo of filament is enough for eight hands. That's assuming around 125-135% hands, all made of the same color.

Usually filament isn't a limiting factor when it comes to making hands, especially if the demand is for multiple different colors.

PLA is generally easier to print, but ABS is a much stronger and more durable material, if you have an enclosure/heated bed. As a user, PLA feels rickety and uncomfortable to me. ABS also has the advantage of not melting or warping on hot days.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

pastanro

Postby pastanro » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Thank you very much, Peregrine!

Do you happen to know how much more does an adult model need?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm

A hand for a large adult could take up to 1/4 kilos of plastic. Probably a little under that, but you need to keep in mind that you'll have a certain amount of wasted plastic in failed prints.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Neptune

Postby Neptune » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:41 pm

I just printed my first 100 scale Raptor Right Hand at 50% infill with 200 micron layer height and it took 118g of ABS so scaling up from that follows right along the lines of what was stated before...7 of the smallest hands to 3 of the largest with waste figured into the equation. You may get better than that, but better to error on the side of having too much material than not enough for your project.

also just so you have an idea. I printed the 100 scale Raptor as a fully plated print. Meaning that all parts were printed at the same time. At an average of 45mm/sec this print took 10.5 hours. The Quality was ok, I'm going to slow the print down for the next one to improve the surface quality. I'm also using a Rostock Max V2 delta style printer(not sure this matters).

Good luck!

Return to “Technical Q&A”