Raptor Reloaded - Tensioner pin screw sizes

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
lizaraujo

Raptor Reloaded - Tensioner pin screw sizes

Postby lizaraujo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi, I'm assembling a 105% scale hand using the additional material kit from 3DUniverse. My problem is that the tensioner screws on the kit do not fit well the tensioner pins at this scale. I may need a #5 screw, and the kit comes with #4 and #6 screws. 3DUniverse support says that the Raptor Hand had files for different tensioner pin sizes, but I don't see this option for the Raptor Reload Hand. The #4 screws are sometimes loose and the #6 is almost the size of the pin. There is a comment on the Raptor Reloaded Thingiverse posting a solution, a scalable tensioner pin for the Raptor Reloaded (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1011300). Is this an e-NABLE approved solution? Thank you.

hertfordkc

Re: Raptor Reloaded - Tensioner pin screw sizes

Postby hertfordkc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:39 pm

After struggling to find the proper screw size for each hand printed, I've settled on drilling the printed holes to properly fit the #4, #6, and #8 screws. You may need some intermediate drill bit sizes so that the hole can be enlarged in small increments. If the twist drill is too large, the plastic part may split. This is a much better solution than using a screw that is really too small and will strip when loaded, or using a screw which is too large and may split the part.

lizaraujo

Re: Raptor Reloaded - Tensioner pin screw sizes

Postby lizaraujo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Thank you hertfordkc for the info. The 105% scale tensioner pins have tin walls, I was really afraid of using a #6 screw, so I ordered #5 screws. But I'm still afraid that the pin is too fragile for the #5 screw. I really think this is a design problem that needs to be addressed. I'm preparing myself to teach middle and high school students to assemble these hands.
Do you use wood screws like the ones that come in the 3DUniverse kit (#4,#6, and #8 - 3/4in length), or you use the socket button head, stainless steel 18-8 (#4, #6, and #8, 3/4in length - https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_button_head_Stainless_steel_18-8.aspx), as suggested in the assembly of the raptor reloaded instructables page?

Return to “Technical Q&A”