Cura & Flashforge Creator Pro

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
KansasAv8R

Cura & Flashforge Creator Pro

Postby KansasAv8R » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:25 pm

I recently downloaded Cura slicing software and really like how fast it is. I selected the Makerbot profile, which seems to be the closest match. However, one problem that I have is the extruder head crashes into the right rear side of the cabinet when starting a print. I'm assuming the home position is not correct but have not found a place to change that setting. I might also mention this is a relatively new printer that came with the Sailfish firmware already factory installed.

Do we have anyone in our group that uses Cura with a Flashforge Creator Pro that would be willing to share your settings and experience with Cura?

Thanks in advance!!

Bill Richert

droomurray

Re: Cura & Flashforge Creator Pro

Postby droomurray » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:47 pm

You might have more luck over here :- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/flashforge

Sorry I don't have that printer nor use that software :-/

laird

Postby laird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:00 pm

KansasAv8R wrote:I recently downloaded Cura slicing software and really like how fast it is. I selected the Makerbot profile, which seems to be the closest match. However, one problem that I have is the extruder head crashes into the right rear side of the cabinet when starting a print. I'm assuming the home position is not correct but have not found a place to change that setting. I might also mention this is a relatively new printer that came with the Sailfish firmware already factory installed.

Do we have anyone in our group that uses Cura with a Flashforge Creator Pro that would be willing to share your settings and experience with Cura?

Thanks in advance!!

Bill Richert

I don't use Cura, but the right-rear is where the head goes to hit the end-stop switches for the X and Y axis. If those switches aren't working, the head will just keep trying to go to the right-rear.

Have you tried printing anything on the printer with other software? Does it hit the end-stop switches properly? If they don't work for other software either, then it's likely a hardware issue. For example, if the switches aren't quite closing, they might need to be adjusted slightly.

The printers should have come with an SD card with the documentation and a few sample files to print. Do the sample files print properly?

If the end-stops work in other software than not Cura, it's an issue with the start G-code in Cura. You'll need to copy the start gcode from some other software, or from someone that has it working.

The FlashForge Creator Pro is essentially a Makerbot Replicator (original model, dual extruders). So you can use ReplicatorG, Makerware, Simplify3D, etc., at least to test.
- Laird Popkin

KansasAv8R

Postby KansasAv8R » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:08 pm

Thanks for your response, Laird

Everything seems to work correctly with ReplicatorG and Slic3r. Your suggestion to look at the GCode seems like the next logical step. Was hoping someone had already run across this issue and had come up with a fix.

andyjhas

Postby andyjhas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:19 pm

I also have the Creator Pro and am looking for a good slicing program. I have been using slic3r, but I wanted to see if there was a better one out there. I was just looking at setting up cura and was looking for help when I ran across your forum and had a similar problem with slic3r. When you set up your bed the center is not at 0,0 it is at the middle of the bed. To change this setting go to file, machine settings, and make sure machine center 0,0 is unchecked if you have version 15.04.2, but I would assume it would be the same for other versions. Hope this helps.

Return to “Technical Q&A”