Printer Compatibility Inquiry: Dremel 3D20 or 3D40

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
willstull

Printer Compatibility Inquiry: Dremel 3D20 or 3D40

Postby willstull » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello,
I am a senior at my high school doing a class called Computer Science Independent Study. I wanted to participate in the E-Nable Project. My school is looking at the Dremel 3D printer (either the model 3D20 or the 3D40). My teacher wants to confirm that either of these printers are compatible with all of the prosthetic models.
Thanks,
Will

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Printer Compatibility Inquiry: Dremel 3D20 or 3D40

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm unfamiliar with that particular printer, but when considering weather a printer is "compatible" with a device, the real question is really "Can this printer physically make the device?"

There are a few things to consider here.

First and foremost is the size. Hands can be printed many different sizes, but the minimum for making an adult hand would be a print bed of about 7x7 inches minimum. That would have you printing some larger parts on the diagonal, but you could pull it off. Larger is going to help you print more at once.

If your bed is heated, that will open up a world of new materials for you. If your bed isn't heated, your limited to PLA, an easy to print but fragile and uncomfortable plastic.

The next thing to consider is reliability. How likely are the printers to fail, how often do they need maintenance. How likely are you to have poorly made parts. How easy is it to pull apart and fix. If your looking at a hobby printer, you WILL need to fix it at least once. I guarantee you. I have an Ultimaker 2, a rather high quality print, and I've had to work with it for most of my prints.

Chances are, you can print an e-NABLE hand on just about any 3D printer (that is big enough to fit the parts). It's more a question of how easy it is than weather you can or not.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Return to “Technical Q&A”