I need some serious help with a busted printer.

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
Jason M Bryant

I need some serious help with a busted printer.

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:17 am

About a month ago I started a big job and left it overnight. When I woke up, I found that it gone catastrophically wrong almost as soon as I went to bed. There was a blob of plastic around the extruder as big as a golf ball. I cleaned it up as best I could and went back to printing. It seemed fine, so I considered myself lucky.

Since then, it has gotten worse and worse. At this point it won't print at all. If you look closely at the picture I've attached, you can probably tell that there is some white padding around the left extruder block, but not around the right one. Some of that came off initially, more has come off since then, and even more was lost as I tried to fix it with the kapton tape that came with my printer. Now there's almost nothing left.

Am I right in guessing that the white padding is insulation and the extruder isn't staying properly heated?

I've been trying to find information online about what to do, but I'm not even finding good information on what the individual parts are. Right now my options seem to be a) buying new parts that I don't know the name of, b) trying to switch the parts between the left extruder and the right one, but I don't know how, and c) setting up slic3d to printer with the left extruder. I've tried to do (c), but nothing I tried worked.

I'd really appreciate some help.
Attachments
DSCF3164.JPG
DSCF3164.JPG (58.75 KiB) Viewed 2357 times

Ew Chee Guan

Re: I need some serious help with a busted printer.

Postby Ew Chee Guan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi Jason,
Here's the parts you are looking for :

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... =10#detail

its ceramic pad to keep the temperature constant. you can tape it using kapton tape.

You might want to purchase a new heater if it can't heat up , Do you know the heater voltage rating? 12V or 24V? what is the length of the heater ?

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Thank you! Thank you very much! I've had no luck getting my printer to print with the other extruder, so fixing the actual problem seems to be my only solution.

It seems to heat up. It just won't print properly, which I'm *hoping* is because of the irregular heat from lack of insulation. If it still won't print after this, then I've got other problems.

I actually got about 70% of the way through a palm when it stopped working. So I've got an enourmous (about 180% scale) unfinished hand taunting me about not being able to complete the job.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:46 pm

One other thing. Does anyone have any tips for how to get the extruder off so I can put the insulation on? As you can see from my pick, I did a pretty bad job of it when I tried to retape what was still there. I don't want to twist those wire until they break, but they don't seem to come off.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Jason,

What printer do you have ?

Drew.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:31 am

I have a Wanhao Duplicator 4x.

I got some help on a different forum. Jetguy told me that it probably wasn't the insulation causing problems with not extruding. He gave me some tips for how to check if it is a motor problem and how to clean out the nozzle. I'll try those things this afternoon and report back.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:59 am

Status update: it's printing again.

I'm not sure why cleaning out the nozzle worked better this time than last time, but it seems to be working. Of course, I'm only 2 minutes into a 16 and a half hour print, so I'm still quite nervous.

I still feel that replacing the insulation is important, so I'm glad I got some help on that.

Next up, I'll see if it goes back to jamming a little after every print. If that behavior continues, then I'll be back.

I'd still like to figure out why I couldn't get the right extruder to work, but that's a problem for another day.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Jason I also have a 4X
I use simplify3d as my slicer and it works fine for both extruders.

Might be worth posting some of your g-code on the Wanhao forums for someone to check when the other extruder does not print.

Drew.

Return to “Technical Q&A”