Suitable 3D Printer

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
Jai

Suitable 3D Printer

Postby Jai » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm about to purchase a 3-D printer for printing out these prosthetics to a few adults I know who already need them.

I'll also be printing for Enabling the Future

I'm looking at the Flashforge Creator Pro. My only concern is whether the build size is enough for adult sized hands. Should I be looking into another more suitable model?

I'd like a printer that can have the option of using Filaflex/NinjaFlex to trial the Flexy Hand design as well.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

billsistler

Re: Suitable 3D Printer

Postby billsistler » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:34 am

The school group that I lead uses that model. We try to start a new hand every day as the last child gets on the bus at the end of the day. When they show up in the morning, it is usually ready to assemble. A Raptor Reloaded fits nicely on the print bed..
Bill Sistler
Sebastian River Middle School
Sebastian, Florida

laird

Postby laird » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:17 am

The FlashForge doesn't do flexible filament too well. It's great for PLA and ABS and Nylon, though.
- Laird Popkin

Jai

Postby Jai » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. :)

Would the Flashforge Creator Pro's build dimensions be enough to print adult-sized hands (Cyborg Beast, Raptor etc.)?

Most information I've seen shows child-sized hands. Not many adult prints.

Thanks!

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:20 pm

Flashforge have recently started using plastic pullies instead of metal ones, if I were you I would look at a Wanhao instead.
There basically both copies of a makerbot, but the quality of the Wanhao is better.

Both have google group support; check them out for comparison.

Drew.

laird

Postby laird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Jai wrote:Thanks for the replies. :)

Would the Flashforge Creator Pro's build dimensions be enough to print adult-sized hands (Cyborg Beast, Raptor etc.)?

Most information I've seen shows child-sized hands. Not many adult prints.

Thanks!

The FlashForge (or any of the Replicator clones) have plenty of room for adult hands. The build platform is 6x9 inches, which is more than enough room for a palm or gauntlet, which are the two big prints. And for smaller people, you can pack in the fingers, etc., and get a whole hand in one plate!
- Laird Popkin

joecross

Postby joecross » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm

http://spc4.e-nable.me/

Check out our Printer Review site - it has reviews from other members. It's kinda small right now, but you may find some useful feedback on different printers that you're considering. And PLEASE add a review of your printer when you finally get one!

Return to “Technical Q&A”