Phoenix Hand Not Printing

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
MattFrank

Phoenix Hand Not Printing

Postby MattFrank » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:24 pm

I am working on a Phoenix hand with some students of mine. Most of the parts have printed up just fine. But the palm is giving me problems.

First, the model directly from the download would not slice correctly for my Dremel 3D20. I found some software to repair the shape and got it to the correct format for printing.

Now the Box shape in the middle of the palm is not printing well. It is not sticking to the print surface well, and moves during the print process.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Is there a good solution?

Thanks.

FinerMotor

Re: Phoenix Hand Not Printing

Postby FinerMotor » Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Matt,

What surface are you using to print on? If you are using the default acrylic that comes with the 3D20 (to the best of my knowledge) and assuming that you are using only PLA (because no heated printer bed on default) I would suggest starting with some blue painters tape. I myself have never heard good things about printing on acrylic from the melting with the extruder to PLA sticking so tightly it required sanding to remove. If you have changed the acrylic out to a glass bed I would suggest first using hair spray on the print surface prior to printing.

Theses suggestions assume a correct initial setup beforehand but I am not familiar enough with the dremel brand of printers to speak on them.

Good luck,
Nicholas
Broadcasting electronic projects and 3D printing on Twitch as "BuildABore"
Electrical Engineering student

Return to “Technical Q&A”