Blender Modeling Help

Questions and answers about printers, software, modeling, and all other aspects of making hands
joecross

Blender Modeling Help

Postby joecross » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 am

I'm trying to change the dimensions of this Thing -http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:370903

I'm using Blender, but am totally confused about which of the 17,542 options and tools I should use. I need to move the screw holes out, which means the whole thing needs to be wider. Any advice on how I can do that without scaling the entire thing?

PeterBinkley

Re: Blender Modeling Help

Postby PeterBinkley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:51 pm

How far apart do you need those holes? Teaching you how to select all the right vertices would be tricky in a post, but I'd be happy to fix the model for you. I need to hold some Blender tutorial hangouts.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Joe,

Exactly what CTC do you have, I would be surprised if there is not a model out there.
I know for my Wanhao 4S they were several different spool holder attachments and the 1st few i printed were the wrong spacing.

Eventually I found one that was correct.

Drew.

joecross

Postby joecross » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Here's my best effort at measuring the distances of the four screws on the back. The 18.5mm measure is from the center of the one cut-out to the center of the other. The cable channel can just go in the middle of the final piece.

Drew - It's a CTC from China, so I'm not sure what specific kind it is. There are definitely other filament holders on Thingiverse, but I just like the look of this one. Plus it gives me an excuse to try to learn Blender.

Peter - Any way you could video record how you do this so I can learn? I've gone through several Blender tutorials, but none have helped me understand how I should think about this (cut and resize, duplicate and dissolve, bisect??!?).

Spool filament guide for Flashforge   CTC with 6mm PTFE tube by villamany   Thingiverse.png
Spool filament guide for Flashforge CTC with 6mm PTFE tube by villamany Thingiverse.png (70.48 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

joecross

Postby joecross » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 am

I took a swing at this by duplicating the back plate and dissolving the existing one. I then used the ruler to get the holes in the right place. But got totally stuck trying to merge the updated back plate onto the front. I think I'm going about this all wrong.

PeterBinkley

Postby PeterBinkley » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:06 am

Hey Joe,
Did you get this done? It's almost a year after your first inquiry. If you still want this done, I could do it.

joecross

Postby joecross » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks Peter! I hacked something together in the meantime.

Return to “Technical Q&A”