Leather Raptor Gauntlet (Both Reloaded and Classic)

For design validation in preparation for merging into publicly released devices
Jason M Bryant

Leather Raptor Gauntlet (Both Reloaded and Classic)

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat May 23, 2015 2:17 pm

DSCF3341.JPG
DSCF3341.JPG (49.44 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

Files available on Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmiq2n33mf77 ... 9U1ja?dl=0

Advantages of the leather gauntlet:

- Nice, tight fit.
- You can't break leather. Okay, maybe a 10-year-old kid being a 10-year-old kid will find a way to break the wrist pins, but that's what testing is for.
- Leather is cool. The Fonze didn't wear a plastic jacket.
- Does not require a large build plate. If your printer isn't big enough for a thermoformed gauntlet, this is for you.
- Fits no matter what. Did the recipient work out and get bigger arms? Did he put a couple extra socks on his arm because he's going out in winter? The gauntlet will adjust, it's leather.

DSCF3343.JPG
DSCF3343.JPG (53.64 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

Disadvantages:

-It isn't entirely 3D printed. However, it does use some 3D printed parts, so it is still technically high tech.
-You have to do some sewing. Honestly, learning to sew leather was not as hard as I thought it would be. A few minutes watching internet videos covered it.

Known issues:

- I'm not sure if the wrist pin is stable enough. It might have to be a little more substantial. I have various ideas on how to do this, but first I'd like to see if I can get any feedback from users.

This takes a little more work to make, but I believe the results can be really good. Perigrine had some really good things to say about leather, so I wanted to try it. There's a pattern to make it easy, so everyone should be able to make one of these without too much trouble.

PeterBinkley

Re: Leather Raptor Gauntlet (Both Reloaded and Classic)

Postby PeterBinkley » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Jason, this is so cool! I like the printed stitching on the wrist hinge attach plate. I'd extend those plates down the arm a few inches. I also really like how thin they are, and how flexible and "form-fitting" they could be, while maintaining strength, because of they print flat. The only drawback to this design is that it seems like it might be difficult to assemble.

Jason M Bryant

Re: Leather Raptor Gauntlet (Both Reloaded and Classic)

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Sewing is a bit of a pain. However, it's not as daunting as it seems. I'll try to minimize the amount of sewing necessary in future designs. Really, it's sewing on the velcro that's most of the work. Switching to straps and buckles may be a better option.

The design definitely needs to be reworked a bit. I probably shouldn't have put it in the beta section yet. As it is, it tends to start bending the leather after some use, The wrist pins really can't move in relation to the tension box.

The ultimate plan is to figure out a single hinge design. I hate that our current gauntlets don't allow for side-to-side movement of the writs. That makes it harder to grab something on a high shelf or a low table. If I can make the wrist flex from side to side without messing up the up-and-down motion that activates the fingers, that will be huge.

I had to stop working on this because the Phoenix took over all my time. I'll get back to it some time this fall when I have access to my printer again.

Return to “Beta Testing”