Free PLA Filament for community chapters!!

These forums are intended for chapter members to collaborate and share lessons.

Free PLA Filament for community chapters!!

Postby joecross » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 pm

Jen Owen and Natureworks have generously donated over 4000 rolls of PLA filament to our community (yes, with 3 zeros!). Enable Outreach is taking on the challenge of covering shipping costs for chapters in need. You are invited to submit a request by filling out this short application.

Apply HERE

Spread the word! There is plenty to go around :-)

Re: Free PLA Filament for community chapters!!

Postby jen.owen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 pm

Thank you Joe!

I gave a talk back in April of this year and when I wrapped up - Natureworks CEO had a surprise for me - 10K pounds of filament to be donated to our community! It is such an incredible gift but it has taken a lot of work to figure out how to actually distribute it to everyone who can benefit from it and figure out logistics for getting it to where it needs to go!

This is the first round of donations - there will be many more but I want to ask that you all be patient with me and Natureworks as we work through the process of shipping, getting the filament created and finding suppliers/producers who can donate their time in creating the material to send out to everyone. :) Most of the donation hasn't been created yet - and we are in our first stages of actually getting some of it out there.

My goal is to send shipments of 10, 20 or 30 rolls to various chapters depending on how much they are printing, what their waits lists are and if they are collaborating with other chapters in harder to reach places where it makes more sense to print and send hands to them vs send filament and have them try to print on their own. :)

I am going to have a couple of chapters start this process based on their activity levels and need / wait list and then work through the rest as we go along.

Please sign up with Joe to get listed with the chapters map/groups and then let him know what your needs are. I would like to see this material get to the places where it is really hard to get it, where there is a large wait list and where a bulk shipment will get used in a timely manner vs sitting on a shelf.

Natureworks is asking that if you receive a donated roll or two that you do a few things:

1. You share on social media and tag them and which ever company they find to produce the materials for you in photos that show the hands that are made with their donations so that they can see where their generosity has made an impact.

2. You only use the materials for making e-NABLE hands or for prototyping work.

This is going to take a while. We have about 4000 spools to get out there into the world but they also have 4000 to make! :)

Im so excited to be able to start sending some out soon!!

Much love to you all!

Postby eón » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:27 am

We need some filaments for some hands and makes us want to donate needed materials . we agree to publish everything that is done with the material

Postby kids3dHonduras » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:10 am

We also have a big need for PLA filament in Honduras, US postal service appears to be the best way to import it with minimum fee to us. Please let us know how to sort shipping.

Return to “Chapters”