Opportunities in Venezuela and Columbia - What to do next?

This forum is for general discussion. If you want to discuss things that don't fit elsewhere, do it here.
SundayDriver

Opportunities in Venezuela and Columbia - What to do next?

Postby SundayDriver » Sat May 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Hello,

MY name is Sunday and I live in Atlanta. I am very happy to be a part of the community here. I have been using my 3d printer to make hands since I purchased it. Now, I have three doctor friends visiting from Venezuela and they have never seen a 3D printer. Needless to say, they were blown away with the applications for healthcare in their very poor country. The stories these doctors have of poverty and poor medical resources is heart breaking.

They have now gotten in touch with doctors and hospitals from all over in Venezuela and Columbia and they all want to see some 3D printed hands. All of them have patients with immediate needs. I really want to be able to provide them with the resources to help their communities. They want me to visit because apparently it is very difficult to ship things there from America.

This is great right? So now I am printing hands non-stop. This has gotten bigger than I ever thought it would and it looks like there is an opportunity to help a lot of people but I am not sure what to do next. I don't think I can do this all myself but I am passionate about giving it all I have. If anybody has any advice, I am all ears.

What do I say and do for these doctors that need hands? How have they never seen 3D printers? Why is it so difficult to get resources in their country?

-SD

SamuBG13

Re: Opportunities in Venezuela and Columbia - What to do next?

Postby SamuBG13 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:53 am

Hello Sunday.

I'm Samuel from Medellín, Colombia. While 3D printers may not be widely known here, they are starting to be popular among engineers and designers. Cheap, desktop 3D printers are starting to be available in the largest cities. I suppose the same happens in Venezuela. But yes, that country is really having a bad time. Things are not that bad here.

Anyway, I would like to know more about these patients. I could help. I haven't started printing hands yet, but I plan to do it in a short term.

Also, you may be interested in contacting Give me Five, a foundation located in Bogotá. They print hands for children. This is their website, although it's in Spanish → http://www.givemefive.com.co/.

LydiaOST

Re: Opportunities in Venezuela and Columbia - What to do next?

Postby LydiaOST » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:05 am

Hi Sunday and Manuel,

I just came across this Topic. Sorry I didn't respond to Sunday before now.

Welcome to eNABLE! Have you already filled out our Matching system Intake Form? We like to have everyone go through our Matching system.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fIiFAT ... w/viewform

We have a Matching system for matching up Volunteers and Recipients as well as letting us know what ways you'd like to be involved in our network. The Matching team provides mentoring and info for Fabricators as well as support for both Fabricators and Recipients.

Once you've filled out the intake form, you'll receive a welcome email from the matching team with instructions on how to get started as Fabricators as well as other related links. Be sure to check your spam folder regularly, since welcome emails tend to end up in there.

So, we have people print out a test hand to show proficiency and then the Matching Team will match you with a recipient in your area if there is one. :) Here's an example of someone who's part-way through this process:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10146625527 ... XDFEXTTdwe

If you already have recipients you're working with, we encourage all of you to fill out the form. There is a place to say if you have people you are working with or plan to work with.

This info and more is located in the Getting Started section of this Forum. Have you read through that section or the "Get Involved" page on our website?
enablingthefuture.org
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Return to “General”