is it possible to print a feet?

This forum is for general discussion. If you want to discuss things that don't fit elsewhere, do it here.
chanhas

is it possible to print a feet?

Postby chanhas » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:08 am

Mi pregunta es sencilla, solo es posible hacer prótesis para las manos? y para los pies o piernas, no es posible?
Gracias...

i have a simple question, is it possible to print a feet or an leg?
Thanks

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: is it possible to print a feet?

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:19 am

So, in theory, it is possible to print such a thing. However, as far as I know, no one has manged to make anything they would feel comfortable putting on a human being.

There are a LOT of reasons for this.

Most of them revolve around the fact that a leg is something that would take a lot of pressure for a long amount of time. This means that the leg would need to be really strong. Much stronger than 3D printed PLA or ABS usually is.

You would also have to protect the user from their leg somehow. With hands, it's easy o put in a little foam and call it good. You don't need much more than that because it's not subject to a lot of pressure. Legs are subject to a LOT of pressure, and would need much more advanced padding and molding to make a safe socket.

Going back to the durability, a failure could easily be catastrophic. If you break a finger, the worst that would happen is that you drop something, you can still kind of use the hand. If you break a leg, the worst that could happen is falling down the stairs or off something very high, and then you can't move from where you are.

So could you print one? Yes, but it's much more dangerous and difficult to do, and not a thing the e-Nable community has really tried to do.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

3dtech

Re: is it possible to print a feet?

Postby 3dtech » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:09 am

You would also have to protect the user from their leg somehow. With hands, it's easy o put in a little foam and call it good. You don't need much more than that because it's not subject to a lot of pressure. Legs are subject to a LOT of pressure, and would need much more advanced padding and molding to make a safe socket. 3d printing service pune mumbai

Going back to the durability, a failure could easily be catastrophic. If you break a finger, the worst that would happen is that you drop something, you can still kind of use the hand. If you break a leg, the worst that could happen is falling down the stairs or off something very high, and then you can't move from where you are.
3d printing service india

Return to “General”