Inquiry regarding Raptor Hand

This forum is for general discussion. If you want to discuss things that don't fit elsewhere, do it here.
AlexBaltag

Inquiry regarding Raptor Hand

Postby AlexBaltag » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey guys,
Can somebody explain be the Creative Commons-Attribution-Share Alike license, because it states that you can Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially. "EVEN COMMERCIALLY" - "This mean that you can sell it?
Thanks

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Inquiry regarding Raptor Hand

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:01 pm

According to the license, yes, you could legally sell it. However, once you start asking for money, if you're within the United States, you have to answer to the FDA. None on these devices are FDA approved, so you still can't sell them for the time being.

That being said, e-Nable sort of makes a point of not asking anything from recipients or families in exchange for devices. This is less on a legal decision and more of a moral decision made by the community.

If the Raptor got FDA approval, then it would be legal to sell it, but you would be competing with a current market price of free.

The only case I could see of someone selling these devices in the same market as a huge collective of people giving them away for free is if you got really good at making them, and could do hyper customized "luxury" devices. Custom engravings and fancy materials and such. In that case, the design is only a medium for what's really being paid for: hours of time and effort for a beautiful and functional piece of art.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

AlexBaltag

Re: Inquiry regarding Raptor Hand

Postby AlexBaltag » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Thank you so much for your effort to respond to my inquiry.
I'm not an US citizen, I live in Romania, an East European Country. Here the life conditions are quite hard, due to the low level of earnings, medium month income is around 500$. Also here, the 3d printers represents a luxury. In Romania, the basic prosthetic hand/arms cost around 700-800, and only get an "empty shell".
If I would have the E-NABLE rights to market the products I would reply the favour, I'm not only talking about donations, but also to help reaching various milestone for them, why not even get the local FDA to approve them.

Return to “General”