Silicone fingertips, self-adhesive medical foam and non-latex dental bands

This forum is for general discussion. If you want to discuss things that don't fit elsewhere, do it here.
berniewoolf

Silicone fingertips, self-adhesive medical foam and non-latex dental bands

Postby berniewoolf » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:30 am

Hello all,

I've recently printed my first Phoenix hand but struggling to find suppliers for some of the parts I need to finish it.
Actually that's not quite right: I can find most of the parts OK, but either the parts are very expensive or the shipping charges (to AUS) add hugely to the total cost.

The $30 kit form 3DUniverse is OK, except that shipping adds a whopping $48.00! (It also contains a lot of parts I don't want or need)

I can find latex-free dental bands on eBay for a good price, but shipping (most are from the US) is generally about ten-times the cost of the bands!
Similar problem with the medical foam.. it's either very expensive or there are high shipping costs or both.
The last item is those neat silicone "Size 3 Lee Tippi Gel Fingertip Grips"... The only way I seem to be able to order Size 3 is in a box of 10 mixed colours ($10)... The price is OK, I suppose, but it'd be nice just to be able to buy all the one colour (clear).

I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest suppliers for these things.

Thanks in advance.
Bernie

Quinn Morley

Re: Silicone fingertips, self-adhesive medical foam and non-latex dental bands

Postby Quinn Morley » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:06 am

As far as the finger tips go, I would check local office supply stores. I do get them in the 10 pack of mixed colors you are seeing, Amazon has that for $6-$7 here in the US with free shipping. I end up wit orange ones sitting around.

If you switch to making the Phoenix Reborn you can buy a few kilometers of stretchy string and be set for the rest of your life! This was one of the reasons they went with the stretchy string for the Reborn, the dental bands didn't last long enough (exacerbated by the sun exposure) and there wasn't good availability for them in Sierra Leone.

Good luck!

Quinn

berniewoolf

Re: Silicone fingertips, self-adhesive medical foam and non-latex dental bands

Postby berniewoolf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks Quinn.
The finger tips aren't a big deal and I guess if I buy several boxes I can have hands with all the same coloured tips.
I'll take a look at the Reborn.... good point about the dental bands being a problem in some places.
cheers,
Bernie

Return to “General”