Brain Recovery Group Project

jsheunis

Brain Recovery Group Project

Postby jsheunis » Sun May 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi everyone

The Brain Recovery Group (http://www.brainrecoveryproject.org/) has been in contact with e-NABLE for quite a while now, and we are keen to work together. Monika Jones, from the BRG, and a parent of a boy who had an MCA (middle cerebral artery) stroke have identified an area where we can help. The focus is to take existing ideas, technology, software SDK kits, hardware and/or wearables to help people with paediatric stroke or brain injuries. In a general case, paediatric stroke patients that have had a right MCA stroke have a weakness on their left side and need assistive technology to help them to varying degrees, from reminding them intermittently to use the weak limb to actually assisting movement in an exoskeleton kind of way.

A first proof of concept design would be a minimalistic wearable with a sensor, controller and feedback. This design should be able to measure muscle/limb movement and use this input to give feedback to the wearer based on predetermined rules. The sensor could be an accelerometer measuring movement of the wearer’s limb over time, or it could be an EMG sensor like the Myo or the boards from Advancer Technologies (Brian Kaminski). Or a combination of both. The controller can very small Arduino controller with only the necessary additions like a small battery with high power and a small PCB. The feedback can be something like a vibration motor (typical in mobile phones). The Myo also has vibratory feedback.

I'm looking for volunteers to work with me on this. It's a small project to start off with, but I think it can be the start of a great collaboration between organisations.

All the best,
S
Stephan

marlacparker

Re: Brain Recovery Group Project

Postby marlacparker » Mon May 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Great project! Glad you posted in the community as well, here is the crosspost link: https://plus.google.com/106984577182142 ... XKLracZrKy

jsheunis

Postby jsheunis » Tue May 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks Marla
Stephan

jsheunis

Postby jsheunis » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi Guys

Marc, like Federico said they will be able to help. Federico and his team are based in Spain and they are avid volunteers involved in printing e-NABLE devices. It's also evident that they have some experience in electronic design, which is good for your project. So I suggest we use this forum topic as the basis for all discussions that involve the device/s that we want to build. Marc, I'll just quotes your current take on things here:

"Step 1: ELECTRONIC WEARABLE WRISTBAND GAMIFICATION of RECOVERY after pediatric or adult Stroke or Brain Injury. Create a daily environment (school and home)where the patient is given points and rewarded for use of the affected arm/hand. Currently this is part of a therapist routine (CIMT CAMP at University of Alabama) done manually with large symbolic hands but if the MEASUREMENT and REWARDS of doing this DAILY could be placed in the childs environment minute by minute - the sound and vibration queing could be helpful into developing NEW motor behavior. "

"Right now I think the APPLE 38mm watch can work for kids over 6 years of age so maybe its just an APP. Can someone help me architect this ? I have engineers available but they almost speak their own language and get caught up in the tech. In the summer I am around 80 kids that could benefit from this STEP 1 device. I will provide any $ needed if you need equipment. I have 4 more steps to my device which results in having an progressive dynamic splint which assists with e-stim to help retrain muscle communication to the brain. I see all of these ideas working independently. My goal is to write an algorithm that will know what the weakened arm needs todo and thru low profile splinting and estim assist the child/adult thru out their daily lives. I am not trying to create something new but rather trying to bring all these individual ideas into one cohesive and truly revolutionary rehab device. Everyone focuses on the function but most stroke and Brain Injuries need have some impact where they neglect the weakened side and I hope to bring more propreception to daily activities. Some of my motivations include my personal experiences with MYO, bamboo Spint, Amadeo, Jules Dewald at Northwestern, Henry Hoffman at Saebo, CIMT Camp at University of Alabama, Kennedy Krieger, Airy Arm, etc"

So, Federico (and anyone else who wants to join in), when you take this into account together with my initial points on the first post of this topic, do you have any ideas or suggestions at this stage?
Stephan

DavidSG

Postby DavidSG » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:01 am

I have taken the liberty of posting a request for software gurus on the Basic For Android (B4A) forum. B4A is a programming language for, well, Android. There are some very smart people using it. I have used b4A myself, but my skill level is far short of what would be required for a smart watch app.

http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/smart-watch-expertise-required.54945/

Monika Jones

Postby Monika Jones » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:58 am

The Apple 38mm watch is very expensive for most people. Is there a more reasonably priced alternative with similar ability? Someone posted one recently on our thread.

Return to “Myoelectric”