Airy Arm

For discussion of arm designs.
LydiaOST

Airy Arm

Postby LydiaOST » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:28 am

Starting a topic for Elizabeth Jackson's exoskeleton design.
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

enj2307

Re: Airy Arm

Postby enj2307 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:23 pm

I am Elizabeth Jackson, engineer and designer of the Airy Arm, a 3D printed mechanical arm exoskeleton for those with an intact but non-functioning hand. It is still in design phase, but I feel very very close to nailing it! Here's a sneak peak!
CIMG1062.JPG
CIMG1062.JPG (647.98 KiB) Viewed 10036 times

jameshs

Postby jameshs » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Elizabeth,

I really think this - and there are some nifty pieces of engineering I have not seen before -

the offset joint
    the forearm snap pins
    the velcro restraints

Would love to hear more so keep us posted!

James
James

James Holmes-Siedle
jhs@allclear.co.uk
www.allclear.co.uk

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:36 pm

I apologize for not having posted any updates recently. Though I am in the process of redesigning the frame, here is what the hand is looking like. I have small fingertip pieces and bars that extend over the knuckles to [hopefully] provide the necessary leverage for opening the fingers of a spastic hand.
CIMG1145.JPG
CIMG1145.JPG (621.67 KiB) Viewed 9856 times

clamorea

Postby clamorea » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Elizabeth, My name is chris. I had a stroke 2 years ago and have been without the use of my left hand since then. I would love to build an Airy Hand! Is it possible to get the stl files so that i can build one?? I have access to a rapid prototyping machine at work.it would be a fantastic improvement to my quality of life! i haven't been able to to much independently since my stroke, but i think this would let me regain my independence!. please let me know if i can build one. ( irealize that you might still be in the design phase) (i would be willing to be a "beta tester") Please let me know. thanks!!!

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Approximately two weeks ago, I launched a functioning version of the Airy Arm on its very first recipient. I have had to simplify the function, so it only opens the fingers at the moment, and has a stationary brace for the thumb and wrist. Candon was able to successfully pick up and release an object due to his own ability to somewhat close his fingers, and the device's assistance to open his fingers. In the first image, you can see him holding a tube of goop that he was able to pick up, and the second image shows his fingers extended from the device. I am currently working on organizing a set of instructions to accompany the device before I release STEP files for others to try.
Attachments
CIMG1169.JPG
CIMG1169.JPG (720.3 KiB) Viewed 9730 times
CIMG1168.JPG
CIMG1168.JPG (583.13 KiB) Viewed 9730 times

jmuckell

Postby jmuckell » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Are design files (STL) files available? I am working with an individual that could benefit for this design. Great Work!

clamorea

Postby clamorea » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Elizabeth,
I am very excited to try this out for my hand.

Please let me know when you have files available (even if they are "beta")!

thanks, chris lamoreaux.stroke survivor 2 years without use of left hand.

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:22 pm

I have uploaded STEP files, along with an instruction guide, to the e-NABLE shared drive folder. You can find them under the "Designs Not on Thingiverse" folder. You may download the files and check them out in your native 3D modeling program. Please be advised that this device is not ready for unsupervised recipient use and is instead intended for closely monitored functionality testing. Please let me know if you do end up testing, and any questions, comments, or concerns you may have regarding this experimental device.

small

Postby small » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm

enj2307 wrote:I have uploaded STEP files, along with an instruction guide, to the e-NABLE shared drive folder. You can find them under the "Designs Not on Thingiverse" folder.

I am unable to locate the STEP files. Can you please help me find where the shared drive for e-NABLE is? Thank you.

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:00 pm

The STEP files can be found here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4eZiC8Kbt3LfndKZ21PQkN5dHNuMVBmeW1PMlU3SE5wMTVMY0JHemFqcU0yb3A3UmRGVE0&usp=sharing
Please remember this is still an experimental device, so children should be supervised, and some adjustments may be needed.
Last edited by enj2307 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clamorea

Postby clamorea » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 pm

yes, where is the share drive located? I have looked on the website and cannot seem to find it. thanks!

clamorea

Postby clamorea » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:09 pm

sorry. i missed the link you posted before!!!

clamorea

Postby clamorea » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Can you build the parts to different scales? My hand is fairly small

BrianR

Postby BrianR » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Elizabeth,
I'm helping Chris (user "clamorea") build his Airy Arm. In the Word Doc called "AiryArmReport," page 7, it says "Take the finger bars, and attach a 3mm PLA post into each of the single holes along the back." Are these separate parts? I don't see such such a file in the drive folder.

Brian

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:10 pm

"3mm PLA post" means cut off a run of the 3mm filament from the roll that you feed your printer. I use 1.75mm filament, personally.

molditux

Postby molditux » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 am

This design for the hand is aweasome for the airy arm

https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/3d-p ... =HubMail29

ability_lab_uw

Postby ability_lab_uw » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Elizabeth.

My name is Sasha Portnova and I work at the Ability and Innovation Lab at the University of Washington. I am currently working on improving a 3D-printed wrist-driven orthosis (WDO) for individuals with spinal cord injury and would like to print and test Airy Arm as well to see if there is more that can be done in terms of 3D-printed open-source exoskeletons/orthoses.

Thanks for your amazing work! I will keep you updated!

Ashoksingh10

Postby Ashoksingh10 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi Elizabeth,
I'm suffering from spine disorder and effectively no grip in left hand. I have been searching but no one was making exoskeletons.
I'm finally happy that you are doing it and I'm looking forward to it.
Sadly I'm from India and I don't have any printers nearby to try and test.
I'm looking forward to you to create a final design and share those. Then I'll try to find someone to print it here in New Delhi, India.
Looking forward to your work.
Thanks,
Ashok

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:01 pm

Thank you all for your support. I hope printing and testing goes well for everyone, and am excited to hear the feedback you will have.

@Ashoksingh10 I believe there are e-NABLE volunteers in New Delhi; I'm sure if you put a post on the community page, someone will be able to help print for you. Unfortunately, it does not incorporate closing the hand yet.

@Jason M Bryant I used 3mm filament for the strength- do you find the 1.75 filament works as well, or does it have a tendency to bend? I understand not everyone has access to 3mm filament, so knowing both sizes work would be great.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Actually, what I meant is that I use 1.75 for printing. I've never tried to use it for anything else.

clamorea

Postby clamorea » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 pm

what type of padding did you use in your build?
i have completed all the 3d printed parts. hopefully will assemble soon

thanks!
chris

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:56 pm

I would like to request a momentary pause in testing of this device.

I recently presented at the 2015 Hemispherectomy Conference and Family Reunion, where I met many amazing families and their wonderful children. This conference brought to my attention a serious design flaw which makes the Airy Arm very difficult to size and fit to a user. I am currently working on updating the design for the wrist/forearm portion that will be more adjustable and should be better suited for recipients.

I apologize for the delay, but I appreciate your understanding and patience.

I could, however, use some help updating the design for the fingertips. The design would ideally provide enough support to be the primary interaction for pulling the fingers open, without causing painful pressure points or allowing the fingertip to slip out. If anyone has some ideas for this, that would be very helpful.

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:38 pm

Thank you all for your patience. I am still working on the design for the wrist. I haven't gotten much time recently to work on it due to working full time, but I am still working on it, slowly but surely! I will try to do a weekly post to keep everyone up to date on progress. So far, though, I think it will have a single bar along the dorsal (back) of the wrist, with a cuff attached that wraps around the palm of the hand, and a second cuff similar to the existing forearm piece where the elbow hinges also connect to. Potential users (or makers for users) does this sound like it will work? It will have a strap at the hand and forearm, with a space around the wrist for a third strap if needed to hold the hand in securely. I welcome any and all feedback as I work on making these improvements!

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:14 pm

I would like to thank you again for your patience. I finished work, but am now going back to school. I do still plan to work on the device, and will hopefully post a picture soon. I have completed a rough prototype of what the new wrist will be like. I welcome any and all feedback, especially from those who could personally benefit from the device.

TOMMYB22

Postby TOMMYB22 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 pm

Any updates info on the airy arm.

untulis

Postby untulis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:09 pm

I can see the files and download them, but I am unable to load one into Fusion360. I do not get any error messages, but nothing is displayed.

Chuck

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:13 pm

I have been very very busy with school recently, but I realized I may need to collect more information about the requirements for this device. Any input is welcome. What would you like from a device like this? What would you like to be able to do with it? Or- I guess what I should ask is, what do you need help with? What are some potential problems you can foresee a device like this needing to overcome? Again, all input is welcome and encouraged! And thank you all so much for your patience and for your help! :)

TOMMYB22

Postby TOMMYB22 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Does anyone know what's goin on with the airy arm it's been October I been waiting to receive news what's goin on they said fall it will be ready for recipients please someone come back to me

AlbanyStudent

Postby AlbanyStudent » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:33 pm

We are a fan of your work, we are a group of students from University at Albany trying to make a version of the airy arm ourselves. We were wondering what string/elastic did you sure so the arm closed. We are having difficulties with our design. Appreciate any feedback you can give us and look forward to see this device progress.

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Again, I apologize for not updating regularly. I have been very busy with school this semester. I only get a small amount of time each week to work on this, so progress has been rather slow. I thank you all for your patience and understanding on this matter.

Recently, I have been gathering information from potential users so I can make sure the Airy Arm will better suit the needs of its users, particularly the wrist and hand. As a result of a recent interaction with a young man, I have been trying to modify the design to better prevent hyperextension of the MP joints. This would enable a more functional position, and prevent damage to tissues that may one day be needed for independent movement. This also reduces the number of moving parts, hopefully making control easier and more direct. I have also been tossing around the idea of an adjustable, dynamic wrist to allow some passive stretch and to reduce the deterioration of those connections.

To my "fans" who are also working on this type of device, I do have some tips for you. So far, I have not been able to successfully work in a closing mechanism, because the strings either ran directly over skin or got in the way when the fingers were closed. I have been using fishing line as cables, and have recently tried to avoid using elastic. I found that elastic simply adds unnecessary tension to a hand that is already difficult to coordinate. At one point, I had a system of two cables that worked on a give-and-take method to open and close the hand, but have had to abandon that in order to focus on effectively opening the hand. Thermoforming is a great technique to get customized, close fitting parts, but after parts are formed they will need at least mole skin, at most foam padding, to prevent irritation and rub spots. You can thermoform PLA using a heat gun or boiling water. Keep up the good work, and maybe collaboratively we can develop something that works!

Of course, the ideal Airy Arm would have several levels of function to meet its users' needs, but that's just not practical at this moment. I would appreciate any and all feedback from potential users about what you want or need from a device like this and any recommendations you can give. I want to make sure my development efforts don't stray too far from your goals.

TOMMYB22

Postby TOMMYB22 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:07 am

Whatever happen to the airy arm project I been waiting for 6 months and I haven't seen anything about it no.more

enj2307

Postby enj2307 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:30 pm

I want to thank you for your continued patience. I know it's not easy, and you are all so excited for the Airy Arm to finally be available, but it is slow going. This is a much more involved project than I originally thought, but I am still pushing forward. Even with classes last semester and only getting 10 hours a week to work on it, I have made some considerable progress.
WIN_20151204_143238.JPG
My most recent prototype. Thumb bar is still just a concept.
WIN_20151204_143238.JPG (156.75 KiB) Viewed 7950 times
I am hoping to test this by the end of the month to see if it is a viable design concept, and then I promise to share the files, even if it is not working 100% so others can try to help develop it.

TOMMYB22

Postby TOMMYB22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:08 pm

When is there going to be a update on the airy arm it's been a long time now and I was just wondering if any one been working on the project still ?

TOMMYB22

Postby TOMMYB22 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:39 am

Can someone please tell me about the airy arm is there no more working on the project it's may 12 2016 still nothing

littlewhale

Postby littlewhale » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Looks like a lot of really great work going on here. I'm wondering is there a way for I can contact individuals working on this figure out what kind of software they are using?

TOMMYB22

Postby TOMMYB22 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Does anyone know about the airy arm when the finished product is coming out I'm on the list already but I haven't heard anything about it

Return to “Arms”