Raptor Wing

For discussion of arm designs.
jonschull

Raptor Wing

Postby jonschull » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:56 am

R and D is what the forums were created for, and the Raptor Wing is the first arm design to emerge since we started the forum. Entirely appropriate that the birth announcement should go into the g+ community. https://plus.google.com/u/0/11581039985 ... 5KvL7F4Vfb

But the nursery should probably be in the forum, right?

So let's have exploration and research on this exciting new device thread from here!

Jason M Bryant

Re: Raptor Wing

Postby Jason M Bryant » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:48 pm

First thoughts:

That cuff is huge. I don't think I could make one of these things bigger than 135% on my machine.

This is just begging for a whipple tree attachment. It would mean fewer lines running from the arm to the hand. That would simplify things, possibly enough to make that cuff a bit smaller.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:52 am

I'm pretty sure I can adapt my gripper box into something that can work for the RW. My main challenge will be making it sturdy enough. With the design I have in mind, there would only be one wire running from the cuff to the gauntlet. Once I get that working, I or someone else can take a look at massively streamlining that cuff. With only one pin necessary, maybe we can get it small enough to wear a shirt over.

On another note, does the RW really need screws? I feel like some nice, study snap pins would work.

Nick Norris

Postby Nick Norris » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:47 pm

I have a well refined, very streamline version of the cuff that will fit under a shirt sleeve. It's for an RIT style arm using a whipple tree. I'll post some pics when I get home from work this evening.

Nick Norris

Postby Nick Norris » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Jason M Bryant wrote:Once I get that working, I or someone else can take a look at massively streamlining that cuff. With only one pin necessary, maybe we can get it small enough to wear a shirt over.

This was designed to work with two lines - one for the whipple tree, and the other for the thumb on an RIT-ish arm I've been working on. It could certainly be modified a bit to work with your idea. It's very compact, structurally sound, and much lighter than the original style.
Attachments
cuff-rev-d.jpg
cuff-rev-d.jpg (264.37 KiB) Viewed 5668 times

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:22 pm

That looks great!

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Okay, I've got a version of the Raptor Wing with a whippletree printed. I feel pretty good about it, at least as a first draft. However, it's getting late and there are some things I have to do before bed. I'll get some pictures and a description posted tomorrow.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:19 am

Okay, here's the Raptor Wing, now with adaptive grip!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e4b9yg8s2204 ... EuYia?dl=0

I added a box and a whippletree. I also redesigned the elbow joint and the interface. They're now specific to each hand, so there's a left and right version for those parts. You will still need the cable guide and the cuff from the original Raptor Wing. Plus a Raptor Reloaded hand, of course.

I redid those parts not only to add the box, but also to change the routing of the cables. When I first added a box, the cables had to take a lot of twists and turns, causing friction along the way. This new system hopefully reduces the friction enough to not be a problem.

The Whippletree: I went with a new design for the whippletree. It's all one piece. I'm a little concerned about strength, but it seems to be holding up so far. It's obviously much easier to assemble than the version that was five pieces that snap together, but it is also massively easier to wire up. If it breaks for anyone, please let me know.

The box: I had been concerned that the whippletree sliding around inside the box would be noisy. However, the wires stretching seem to provide all the noise on my hand, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

One thing that might be an issue is the box popping out of the elbow interface. That happened on my test version. I modified the sliding shoe on the box to make it fit better, but I haven't printed out a new one to test it. Again, please let me know if that is an issue.

The box sticks out over the gauntlet. This doesn't look great, but it doesn't interfere with anything. That whippletree needs a lot of room to move.

The cuff: Right now, you can use the cuff that was designed for the first version of the Raptor Wing. However, this version only takes two wires. I'd love it if Nick got his cuff working with this.

I hope this makes a good addition to the Raptor Wing system. If anyone tests it, please let me and the Raptor Wing designers know.
Attachments
DSCF3190.JPG
DSCF3190.JPG (50.28 KiB) Viewed 5620 times

Skip Meetze

Postby Skip Meetze » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Nice work Jason! You are the pioneer of the Whippletree!

With our terminal device hand, the whippletree worked well with the thumb tendon tied on just proximal to the whippletree and a single cable (made from 1.75mm nylon filament with a crimp). I would be interested in seeing if that works with your design. I love the single piece whippletree. I'm thinking that if it is printed in ABS, than dunking in in acetone might help it be strong enough.

I'll post more about our system later in the weekend.

Nick Norris

Postby Nick Norris » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:23 am

Jason M Bryant wrote:The cuff: Right now, you can use the cuff that was designed for the first version of the Raptor Wing. However, this version only takes two wires. I'd love it if Nick got his cuff working with this.

I have a test cuff file if you'd like to try it. I left a message on Google + with my contact info.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:16 am

Nick, I don't see the message. If you like, you could put it on github, dropbox, or something like that and post a link here. You could also try sending me another message through Google+.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:17 pm

I have a bit of feedback about the Raptor Wing, although it isn't user feedback.

I've been working on my own version for a few days now. I've tested it a bit, trying to pick up objects, though that's not nearly as much use as a real user would give it. As of yesterday, the only two parts that I hadn't replaced were the wrist hinge caps and the wire routing pulley.

Both of those parts have broken during my testing.

I've made some slightly beefier versions of those parts. If anyone wants them, they're here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t28gz0oci0wq ... 8EA4a?dl=0

I think the wrist caps are really a temporary solution. Once we've tested this design and feel good about it, the long term solution is to make a slightly custom version of the gauntlet and hand that do not bend at the wrist. A couple of extra snap pins would secure it without any wrist pin caps at all. That would be much sleeker.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:17 am

I have a question about the Raptor Wing.

At the place where the arm cuff connects to the circular part of the elbow joint, the cuff splits into a fork. I looked at the pictures of the little girl with the early version, and it looks like only the elbow joint goes between that fork. However, there's a *lot* of space there. It's much wider than the elbow joint, which is not what is show in the picture.

Is the elbow joint just supposed to float in that area? Was it made wider between the initial design and the current version?

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:31 am

For reference, here's how the two parts look like they will fit together in a 3D render.

raptor wing render.jpg
raptor wing render.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 4898 times

Here's my reference of how they should fit together from the raptor wing announcement.

raptorwing-10.jpg
raptorwing-10.jpg (130.24 KiB) Viewed 4898 times

joecross

Postby joecross » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Jason M Bryant wrote:Is the elbow joint just supposed to float in that area? Was it made wider between the initial design and the current version?

Did you ever get resolution on this Jason? I'm printing a Wing right now and have the same gap in the joint. I saw that others just filled the gap with washers, which is what I may do. I don't think it would work to scale down the cuff or scale up the interface piece.

One thing I noticed is that the version in your reference photo uses screws to attach the cuff to the interface piece, so you could scale the interface piece up/down, as needed. But the version I have integrates the interface piece into the cuff, so it can't be scaled effectively.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:42 pm

No, I never got an answer on this. I think the team that put the Raptor Wing together, moved on and didn't support it.

The white one in pictures I put up is from their development pics. It's not the design that we were all given. I put up a render that has the version that is in the STLs we were given.

I was working with Nick Norris on a new version that is a little more sleek. He never got back to me after I sent him some design. I think he got busy with other things and forgot.

joecross

Postby joecross » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm

I'll reach out to Ivan and see if he is still supporting the design. If not, maybe we can take over the Github repository and add some of the tweaked models posted here.

joecross

Postby joecross » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Charles de Sauza tweaked the piece to fill the gap. I'll ask him if he can share the new model with us.

joecross

Postby joecross » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:47 pm

cheapjack

Postby cheapjack » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:08 pm

HI guys is there any way of getting hold of more parametric files or STEP files from your wing design Jason? We've been using the wing design to get the Raptor Hands working with people who dont have working wrist parts for the project we at DoESLiverpool (http://doesliverpool.com) are doing with FACT and the Crafts Council http://fact.co.uk/news-articles/2015/05 ... oject.aspx

It's a great design and one family are already using it and their son loves it but be good to be able to adjust things parametrically if thats ok with Jason? Anyway great design!!

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:26 am

So far, what I've uploaded is what I've got. Nick is the one responsible for that great cuff he made. He's still improving it.

Skriver

Postby Skriver » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi!
I'm a 3D printing enthusiast from Poland. I'm experimenting with this technology for 1.5 year (describing my work on blog - http://3dwpraktyce.pl). I'm searching for practical use of 3D printing and I'm quite impressed by e-NABLE initiative.

My friend asked me for help him with printing arm prosthesis. The RIT Arm is a device that should be suitable for him. His an adult (28) so I guess I will need to resize it - but I guess it won't be problem. I also need to find fingers for this project - are fingers / palms from other devices compatible with RIT Arm?

I would like to ask about the status of Raptor Wing design - maybe I could try to use it, maybe even help in testing / making it better?

Thanks,
Skriver

gotwong415

Postby gotwong415 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:21 am

Skriver wrote:Hi!
I'm a 3D printing enthusiast from Poland. I'm experimenting with this technology for 1.5 year (describing my work on blog - http://3dwpraktyce.pl). I'm searching for practical use of 3D printing and I'm quite impressed by e-NABLE initiative.

My friend asked me for help him with printing arm prosthesis. The RIT Arm is a device that should be suitable for him. His an adult (28) so I guess I will need to resize it - but I guess it won't be problem. I also need to find fingers for this project - are fingers / palms from other devices compatible with RIT Arm?

I would like to ask about the status of Raptor Wing design - maybe I could try to use it, maybe even help in testing / making it better?

Thanks,
Skriver

Hi Skriver,

You should check out The Modular Training Arm: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=232. It's from the same team at RIT but is still in the alpha stage so I'm sure they would love your help with testing & feedback.

John

Skriver

Postby Skriver » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks, John! I will check out this Modular Training Arm design.

Return to “Arms”