Call to Arms and Arm Makers!: innovative design repository at Wevolver

For discussion of arm designs.
jonschull

Call to Arms and Arm Makers!: innovative design repository at Wevolver

Postby jonschull » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Between travel to SXSW and a headcold that I still haven't shaken, I've been slowing things down. I'm resolving to try not to do that.

With this note, I'm connecting Bram Geenen of wevolver with all the arm people whose emails I have from this wonderful document as well as with Trouble Sturm who runs a periodic R and D hangout.

Arm people, Bram from Wevolver has created an innovative repository for all sorts of arm-relevant designs. The idea is that each of you should be able to update and administer your own designs and files while maintaining useful connections to other arm-relevant components.

https://www.wevolver.com/wevolver.staff/rit-arm

Here are suggested next steps (intended to get me out of the loop even though I hope to participate.)

Trouble, I suggest you invite Bram to present at (near) future R and D hangout and invite all the names above.

Spread the word
I'm pasting this message into the forum and into the community.

Arm people, share this message with other arm-practitioners you know and urge them to collaborate in the forum.

Bram, be aware that several exciting new arm variants have arrived on the scene in the last few weeks.

The Raptor Wing from Ivan Owen and the Flexy Arm from Christian Silva. Helping them onboard their designs would be great.

We have a new process for taking designs public. To make sure that designs aren't given to recipients prematurely, it involves not publicizing experimental designs until they have gone through peer-review and evaluation, and involves publishing files on github not thingiverse, etc.. I believe you can make wevolver pages private, right? It's worth thinking about how your new system might support our new process.

The process is described here and is being further elaborated by Joe Cross here

The email addresses I lack from that document include the following.
Jim Hernandez
Kyle Moore
Matt Ambauen
Paul Greucean
Yuto Kojima
Ken Davis
Scott Billeg
Ralph Ferro
Chris Waller
Robert Anderson
Dennis Ward
Thomas Harsley
Ew Chee Guan
Moulesh - Tester, R&D
Beth Schlegel- design
Mike Auer
Marisol Calligaro - pubblicità
Vladimir Šipka, design master’s student interested in designing one
Chelsea Ngo, SPT
Teri Balog - printer
Harrison Pham - printer
Rick Martin - Fabricator, Designer
Ken Fenton(kmfeff) - Fabricator
Steve Palma- R&D Tester

Ken Fenton

Re: Call to Arms and Arm Makers!: innovative design repository at Wevolver

Postby Ken Fenton » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:00 am

Hi Jon
Ken Fenton(kmfeff on g+) kenfenton4@gmail.com
I totally agree with your quote "We have a new process for taking designs public. To make sure that designs aren't given to recipients prematurely, it involves not publicizing experimental designs until they have gone through peer-review and evaluation, and involves publishing files on github not thingiverse, etc.. I believe you can make wevolver pages private, right? It's worth thinking about how your new system might support our new process."
Some untested arm designs are made too readily available. I think e-Nable volunteers should have a dedicated set of designs that they work with. They can be made public at one point but need to be tested.
Ken

Return to “Arms”