Why do we have wrist caps?

For discussion of hand designs.
Jason M Bryant

Why do we have wrist caps?

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri May 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Was there ever a hand that didn't have wrist caps? Are we sure that the wrist pins would wear out faster if they just connected the gauntlet to the palm with no caps?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Why do we have wrist caps?

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Fri May 08, 2015 4:38 pm

This is a good point you bring up. The caps on the wrists of our main designs are bulky and not too attractive. It would be nice to be rid of them.

As for why they're there in the first place:

1. That hinge takes a LOT of stress. I'm not sure a pin could stay in on its own in that environment.

2. Every other example of snap pin use had the pin running through one part, through the connecting part, and then back into the first part. This allows the connecting part to work like a wheel spinning on an axle. I think a snap pin that connected to both parts might cause a hindrance to wrist movement, as it attempts to hold both parts in place.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Fri May 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Those points make sense, but I'm not sure how much they actually add up to. On my test hands the caps tend to float a little loose. It doesn't really seem to be doing much to hold it in.

I guess the main advantage is that when the pin does rub against the cap, the cap rotates with it. The palm obviously wouldn't do that, so it would rub against it more, wearing it down.

The Raptor Reloaded caps are a little flatter and less obtrusive than the Raptor Classic caps, at least.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Fri May 08, 2015 9:39 pm

I print the caps 20% in height greater than other dimensions to make them a tight fit.

Drew

Return to “Hands”