Question about angles

For discussion of hand designs.
Vladimir

Question about angles

Postby Vladimir » Sun May 24, 2015 9:26 pm

I am designing a new hand, and I wanted to ask, has anyone made a hand with different angles of the fingers?

Looking at my own hand, it has the fingers spread out like that and it affects the grip, making it more of a ball like grip.

(Raptor Reloaded pictured, but it's a general question)

Also, spreading them would mean a difficult to insert hinge, so could the hinge be printed in and the fingers made snap fit?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Question about angles

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 am

Needing a curved pin to hold fingers on a curved knuckle is exactly why we haven't done much. It's very difficult to assemble.

I'm afraid that the sketch pictured there actually looks a lot like my fingers whenever I break them. Those would work fine for lighter objects, but if anything rally resists the fingers trying to move them, they'll pop out and be dangling by a thread until you snap them back in place. It's doable, but frustrating.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Jason M Bryant

Re: Question about angles

Postby Jason M Bryant » Mon May 25, 2015 1:26 am

I don't think having the fingers splayed out that much is the most common way we use them. Other than trying to palm a basketball, we don't need our fingers to be particularly wide apart.

The current placement doesn't have the fingers directly against each other. There is a little bit of space, like a relaxed hand position. I think this is a pretty good middle ground that will handle most of the ways that we pick things up.

Return to “Hands”