Bracer and whippletree for RReloaded - would it work?

For discussion of hand designs.
Vladimir

Bracer and whippletree for RReloaded - would it work?

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi,

I modeled this new bracer and whippletree for the Raptor Reloaded based on it's original bracer, in an effort to make the bracer more aesthetically pleasing and merge the tensioner box with the bracer (can someone explain to me why they're separate? I assume because of printing orientation).

The velcro slot is 30mm wide, and velcro could either be threaded through both as a single loop or separately.

Do you think it would work? I don't have a 3D printer to test it out myself.

front.jpg
front.jpg (221.36 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

back.jpg
back.jpg (200.07 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

top.jpg
top.jpg (181.72 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

I also think it should be printed upright because of the holes in the tensioner, with slight support so it doesn't fall down (pictured)

support.jpg
support.jpg (158.53 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

Here are the .step and .stl files http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:849407

Vladimir

Re: Bracer and whippletree for RReloaded - would it work?

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 26, 2015 4:36 pm

So I just found a topic elsewhere on the forum regarding the whippletree for RR.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110
I apologize for being out of the loop, I'm trying to catch up.

Vladimir

Postby Vladimir » Wed May 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Has anyone used a leather belt for the bracer/hand?

I know that Peregrine loves the leather bracer.

I was thinking of simply cutting an existing belt and punching a few extra holes.
That way there would be no need for padding on the bracer (except possibly on the small plastic part that does touch the skin)

leatherbelt1.jpg
leatherbelt1.jpg (231.55 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

leatherbelt2.jpg
leatherbelt2.jpg (279.04 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Wed May 27, 2015 10:38 pm

Yes, I've got a leather gauntlet/bracer design in another thread. It's in the beta section.

I'm not entirely happy with it yet. I plan on modifying it, but I'm a little busy with another project at the moment.

Vladimir

Postby Vladimir » Wed May 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi Jason,

I saw it, but what I meant here is specifically a belt, since it's threaded through and would require less assembly (no screws or sewing).

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Wed May 27, 2015 11:36 pm

I haven't seen a belt design.

Looking at your design, it's very interesting. I like how compact it is. I do have two concerns. One, it doesn't look very printable. Two, it looks like it would dig the plastic bars into the recipient's arms on either side of the belt.

Keep working on it. This has a lot of potential.

Vladimir

Postby Vladimir » Thu May 28, 2015 12:09 am

Thank you. And thank you very much for your work, which is priceless information to me (and others) because I don't have 3D printer for actual testing (never would've guessed the finger shape problem with picking up stuff).

I'm working on the plastic bars that are digging in, it's the main flaw with this system. I also like the threaded belt design because it puts less stress on the plastic.

Do you have any advice on what would make it more printable?

And another thing is, I think we (e-nable) lack a hand for adults (where 100% scale is adult size), since scaling up adds unnecessary material and bulk.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Thu May 28, 2015 11:25 am

There's a few things to remember for printing.

One is that you need a flat side. On the regular gauntlet, it's the bottom of the rails. They lay flat on the bed, and the rest grows up out of that. So there has to be something flat as a base. The base has to be large enough to support the weight, you don't want the thing to print over while you're printing.

Another thing is that the walls can't go out at more than a 45 degree angle. You can't print over air. You can't print on air. Sometimes we add supports to areas that have too much angle. That's why the gauntlet and palm have built in supports. The sicing software for printers can generate supports, but most don't do a very good job.

Ideally, we don't want any plastic touching the recipient's skin. It may not be hygienic, since the surface is naturally porous. It might also cause irritation.

cweinthal

Postby cweinthal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:29 am

Vlad,
Great ideas -- This would be an ideal candidate to print flat and then thermoform into shape.

cweinthal

Postby cweinthal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Thermo form Bracer is here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78

I do suggest:
Putting in three tensioner units, equally spaced instead of the two.
When lifting something heavy the loading can be very significant and one tensioner for 4 fingers is asking a lot. :)

Adding some lateral cross bracing between the tensioners. And raise the screw holes higher, so they are not below the outer radius of the the gauntlet. (reduce a breaking seam?)

1d1

Postby 1d1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Vladimir, I have been using your whipple tree and bracer without knowing where they came from. I am printing the bracer in TPU, flexible filament that is both comfortable and adaptable to different wrist shapes. This also eliminates the problem of the hard plastic being uncomfortable. Nice design!

Return to “Hands”