Replacing the Velcro on the Gauntlet: Two Printable Solutions

For discussion of hand designs.
andreas

Replacing the Velcro on the Gauntlet: Two Printable Solutions

Postby andreas » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:30 am

Source files available here:
PLA Thermoformed Gauntlet
Ninjaflex Strap

I think it's important to develop printable alternatives to the velcro used on many gauntlets today. The common "two strip" method is difficult to fasten with one hand and requires some glue or stitch-work to secure the velcro to the gauntlet. The "one strip loop around" method is easily fastened with one hand, but still requires glue/stitching to secure the velcro to the gauntlet and to secure the contact patch to the velcro strip to ensure proper fastening. I prototyped two possible alternatives, one thermoformed PLA (see thermogauntlet beta testing thread for more) and one in Ninjaflex this weekend. I've been hesitant to use flexibles to date because they are more challenging to print with and don't contribute to the accessibility of a given design, but it seems that they are becoming more reliable and we've seen repeatable successes in the community (Flexyhand series).

The idea here is to match the profile of the load-bearing surface on the underside of the gauntlet with the surface form of the forearm to avoid pressure points, as described in the below diagram, which illustrates the problem with velcro in conventionally-printed (non-thermoformed) gauntlets.

TheProblemWithVelcro.jpg
TheProblemWithVelcro.jpg (575.83 KiB) Viewed 832 times

Thermofroming solves the surface-alignment problem, so this proposed Ninjaflex load-bearing surface solution is just to further reduce assembly complexity by moving it into the design. There are also marginal gains in the ease of thermoforming due to the consistent wall thickness of the gauntlet. What I see as a potential win here is the ease of adjustment and fastening/unfastening. The Ninjaflex part snaps over the fastening pins securely and, but is still easy to remove, so there are might be some usability gains here. Would love both design and user feedback to further develop and improve this if there are gains to be had.

ninja1.JPG
ninja1.JPG (1018.29 KiB) Viewed 832 times

ninja4.JPG
ninja4.JPG (846.48 KiB) Viewed 832 times

ninja2.JPG
ninja2.JPG (671.79 KiB) Viewed 832 times

ninja3.JPG
ninja3.JPG (780.82 KiB) Viewed 832 times

droomurray

Re: Replacing the Velcro on the Gauntlet: Two Printable Solutions

Postby droomurray » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Andreas,

I was about to run one of these off in filaflex; and I might still however Stephen Davis seems to have trumped the easiest solution to print and cheap fix.

https://plus.google.com/103015456434126 ... q71JnA2zBr

Drew.

Jfwinston

Re: Replacing the Velcro on the Gauntlet: Two Printable Solutions

Postby Jfwinston » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm

I just stumbled across this post. Awesome work.

Has anyone else tested this design? I plan to print this off and do some comparisons with the traditional velcro straps.
Co-lead at e-NABLE Portland, mechanical engineer, and no idea what I'm doing

Return to “Hands”