No More Tippi Tips

For discussion of hand designs.
droomurray

No More Tippi Tips

Postby droomurray » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:57 pm

All,

Since building hands I have always had resentment for the Tippi Tips on the grounds that they are quite expensive, not hard wearing, limited colour or only mixed boxes, even the small ones don't fit well on smaller hands.

So during one of my many hangouts with Stephen Davies he mentioned plastic coating, I told him how I thought it had been tried before and was reported as not that good. Anyway not one to listen Stephen got some Plasti dip and tried it out. Encouraged by his results I got some as well and I have to say I am VERY impressed.

The stuff we are using is this - http://www.plastidip.co.uk

2015-06-03.jpg
2015-06-03.jpg (119.44 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

There is a primer and a coating product. The primer helps with coating adhesion.
I have used both, Stephen is just using the coating on his hand at the moment.
We are both just using the clear version of the product.

Process is simple enough, dip finger in, wait to dry and dip again. Seems to take 2-3 coats to get a nice covering on. I dried mine on the washing line to much upset from my wife :-)

FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg (171.32 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

My test ones ended up with bubbles in but thats because I didn't read the instructions first; you don't shake it to mix but stir it in order to not get bubbles.

result1.jpg
result1.jpg (279.89 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
result 2.jpg
result 2.jpg (229.52 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
2015-05-28.jpg
2015-05-28.jpg (660.79 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

Texture is smooth but does have that rubbery feel to it and Stephen reports it helps with grip; maybe not as much as a Tippi tip but noticeably more than just raw PLA.

Best thing is a little tin will probably cover a few hundred fingers and no need to worry about sizes any more !
Stephen is now working on a grove version of Jason's dental band fingers with the hope that when dipped the contours may further help with grip.

StephenDavies

Re: No More Tippi Tips

Postby StephenDavies » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:08 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/yKo6rd6F3k1o2G7q7

After a few weeks testing mine have proven quite effective. Even though when I first started using Plasti-Dip I didn't have the primer (Just gave it three coats), there has been no peeling or any problems with it whatsoever. This is definitely a viable more cost efficient and accessible option over the tippi gel finger tips. I will post an update of the process, and my "Dip Rig" in good time.

joecross

Postby joecross » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:08 am

Quick questions - Have you tried the Non-Slip product from the same company? Does it offer any grip benefits? And how much Plasti Dip does it take to cover 5 fingers? I'm trying to decide how big of a pot to get.

droomurray

Postby droomurray » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:09 pm

joecross wrote:Quick questions - Have you tried the Non-Slip product from the same company? Does it offer any grip benefits? And how much Plasti Dip does it take to cover 5 fingers? I'm trying to decide how big of a pot to get.

Joe, no I have not tried the non-slip product good idea.The feel to them is slightly tacky, not slippy as it is.

I got a small 250ml tub and have done 15 fingers with it, all with 3 coats and would say the level has dropped less than 1cm in a 10cm can.

Drew

Return to “Hands”