Cost/Benefit of thermoform palms

For discussion of hand designs.
AdamArabian

Cost/Benefit of thermoform palms

Postby AdamArabian » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 am

I'd like to open a chat on the thermoform palms. I'm in the "anti" group (which I'm not sure is a group since I may be the only member...) as I feel that it would remove the proprioception that the user gains from the existing palm. The velcro diffuses it a lot but its I'm sure better than a plastic cage. I consider that these children (and adults) have learned to adapt well to having no fingers already but they do so with utilization of their palm (and the sensation feedback it provides) so I fear we are perhaps taking a step back if we remove that.

Opinions? Thoughts? Am I totally wrong?

Jason M Bryant

Re: Cost/Benefit of thermoform palms

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:08 am

Well, they're still getting pushback, right? Force exerted against a plastic palm and force exerted against a plastic cup are both force. The thermomesh palm is going to push back against their palm just like anything else.

AdamArabian

Postby AdamArabian » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Yes but you lose the precise tactile feel. You feel only pressre, not shape. Imagine holding a six sided die. You lose the sense of it's size and shape. You also can't feel if or when it starts to slip so you can't adapt your grip.

There is also a lack of compliance (the soft tissue of your hand wrapping around an object) and the fact that pla is not recommended for prolonged skin contact.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Skin contact with PLA is a good point. I feel like we should have a way to address that, like a coating that can be applied to the thermomesh after it is shaped. It might be as simple as taking off the thermomesh, putting a thin, breathable fabric between the mesh and the hand, putting the mesh back on, and then cutting off the excess fabric. Once in awhile you take off the fabric and throw it in the washing machine.

As for the precise tactile feel, we need to ask a few recipients about that. I think most of the recipients who are trying the thermomesh have also used hands with velcro. They could compare the two.

LydiaOST

Postby LydiaOST » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Leather is an option. It would be good to ask Peregrine about his experience adapting like Adam described as well as with his leather palm and bracer.
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:09 pm

I've used leather and velcro, and I don't really get any feedback from either palm anyway.

I can feel when something is pressing or not, but that's about it. When I pick up something small enough to matter, I use my thumb and fore/middle finger grip. The palm isn't even part of that. The only grip that I use that involves the palm is the pinkey/ring finger grip, and that's a 'power grip'.

If my grip is slipping, I can tell via one of two ways.

1. I feel my fingers slipping. Yes, I can feel them moving like that. The cables put different amounts of stress on different arts of the system, and I can feel it tugging on my wrist.

2. My inner hand starts to slip out of the socket. This is usually due to the hand slipping due to sweat, and the palm being too flexible and slipping.

I've actually contemplated using a metal plate across the wrist side of my palm to prevent stretching and slipping.

That being said, I would't use any hand that puts plastic directly on my skin. Especially on the palm, there should be padding on any plastic there, not including the sock.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

GreggDennison

Postby GreggDennison » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:21 am

Luke loves using the thermomesh palm. No sock, just plastic. It irritates him in NO way, does not give like the velcro did and because of the forming of it to his palm, it is a comfortably tight fit that slips right on. He says that as far as feeling goes, it's the same as velcro: nothing. It's wearable comfort.

Return to “Hands”