Any Users Here? Or Success Stories of 3D Printed Devices Like These in Use?

For discussion of hand designs.
Scott Ocheltree

Any Users Here? Or Success Stories of 3D Printed Devices Like These in Use?

Postby Scott Ocheltree » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:32 am

Father of two children with limb differences here. I'm trying to understand how these devices might help them. Can somebody point me to any documentation of how these hands have helped anybody in a meaningful way? I've a son with no right hand. And I'm pretty sure he's right-handed. There's a very limited number of activities he can't do, but I can't think of any that would be enabled by these devices. Tying shoes? Monkey Bars? Cutting meat on your plate? What are the good applications of these devices?

To be honest, it looks more like a hand puppet hand than a prosthetic device.

Unilateral upper limb birth defects have very minor impact on children's ability. The biggest issue around these types of birth defects really is the stigma of being visibly different than others.

I think useful prosthetics are generally going to be designed for specific activities. This doesn't seem to fit that idea.

So again, how are these useful?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Any Users Here? Or Success Stories of 3D Printed Devices Like These in Use?

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello Scott,

As someone who uses these hands, I'm happy to see someone asking that big important question on whether or not they actually help. Whether they offer any help is often a matter of what the user wants to do, but here are a few things that I've personally found helpful.

Around the house, there's not much need for another hand, with the one exception of holding the handle of a pot while cooking. Stirring a pot with one hand is a frustrating process, and a good grip with one of these hands makes a huge difference. This also goes for folding clothes or linens of any sort. Just now, while typing this response, I used my hand to pull my dinner out of the oven that was sitting loose on a sheet of aluminum foil, not an easy task for five fingers.

However, most of what I use my hands for is out of the house. Holding my wallet to get something put of it, holding a water bottle while I unscrew the cap, carrying bags... These hands are fantastic if you ever want to go anywhere with a cup of coffee in one hand. I don't like choosing between caffeine and working door knobs/checking my phone/getting out bus fair etc.

To address some of your other concerns about tying shoes and cutting meat, these are a little difficult at first, but they are definitely easier with one of these hands. We just recently got some footage of me preforming these sorts of tasks, and it should be going up soon. It shows folding linens, cutting food, using a fork and spoon, writing, and tying shoes.

I can't say I could use monkey bars with my hand, but it's good for plenty of other things.

You could definitely find a prosthetic that does any one of these tasks better than an e-Nable hand, but I highly doubt that you'll find one that makes every day activities easier across the board as effectively.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

hertfordkc

Re: Any Users Here? Or Success Stories of 3D Printed Devices Like These in Use?

Postby hertfordkc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:01 am

The community blog frequently posts examples of the hands in use. I particularly took note of the young tennis player who did not have to put the racquet aside to toss the ball for service. There are several individuals playing stringed instruments who use Enable hands to hold the bow. And then there was my first recipient, whose mother teared up watching him pick up a cup, then exclaimed "Oh how wonderful! Now you will be able to hold the dustpan when you sweep the floor."
Also, there is the element of "Shouldn't I be acceptable the way I am?" Perhaps 9 months ago, a youngster articulated how using a hand seemed to cause others to focus on the hand rather than him.
About the same time as that note appeared, Peregrine talked about how an Enable hand is not the end-all. It simply provides another option. As I recall, Peregrine stated that he sometimes has a loop on his belt to carry his device when he needs to work without it.
Finally...give it a try. The hands are relatively inexpensive. See if they work.

Return to “Hands”