Talon Hand

For discussion of hand designs.
morganmarsh

Talon Hand

Postby morganmarsh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:37 pm

I am building the talon hand for a client, and I was wondering what the difference is between the cable anchor and the cable tensioner? In the tutorial videos, he uses the tensioner, but I didn't know if these were used for the same purpose or if there was a benefit to one over the other?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Talon Hand

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:52 pm

The cable anchor, the one with the set screws, is the one I use, primarily because I enjoy using thick nylon monofilament cables instead of thin braided cable.

The two different parts are there, primarily to take different types of cable. The anchor can take much thicker cable that couldn't be tied around a bar. The tensioner is much easier to adjust, but only takes thin cables.

I would actually suggest using the anchor and using thick monofilament cable (heavy duty fishing line or trimmer wire works well), if only because you can forego the use of elastics in the hand when you do that.

Or you could build an Osprey, which is essentially an upgraded Talon, and addresses many of the problems with that design.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Return to “Hands”