An OpenSCAD version of the cyborg beast palm with fingers you can add and remove

For discussion of hand designs.
nathanstenzel

An OpenSCAD version of the cyborg beast palm with fingers you can add and remove

Postby nathanstenzel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:55 am

https://github.com/e-nable/StenzelBeast

I have gotten more progress on my OpenSCAD version of the cyborg beast palm. I can now add and remove fingers. This may result in some rough edges at the moment though. Any one that wants to take a look, feel free.

laird

Re: An OpenSCAD version of the cyborg beast palm with fingers you can add and remove

Postby laird » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:20 am

This is really good. I"ve been crushed with work, but I'll try printing these to see how they look, perhaps Sunday.

Unless someone else gets to it first, of course, I wouldn't want to delay things! :-)
- Laird Popkin

nathanstenzel

Re: An OpenSCAD version of the cyborg beast palm with fingers you can add and remove

Postby nathanstenzel » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:07 am

Well, I found out that the best way to draw a line in 3D is to hull 2 spheres so that it fills in the space inbetween. Over the next week, I may be transitioning the code to have the grooves made with 3D lines subtracted from the material and to have the whole thing parametric at last.

nathanstenzel

Postby nathanstenzel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:18 am

I have started coding for x,y,z scaling. Most of it is out of the way, but I will need to redo the wire paths.

laird

Postby laird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:06 pm

That hull trick is clever. I've usually seen it done by drawing a cylinder between the points, which requires using trig to compute angles. With hull, you just use the two points! Easy!
- Laird Popkin

nathanstenzel

Postby nathanstenzel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:56 pm

The math in the trig did not come out right. It was a few millimeters off in the Z for the end for some weird reason. That is why I decided to just hull 2 points.

nathanstenzel

Postby nathanstenzel » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:26 am

I have just committed a parametric version. It scales in x,y,z. You can still turn on and off the digits. The wire traces could use some fine tuning.

nathanstenzel

Postby nathanstenzel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:23 am

I need some measurements for the chicago screws in the cyborg beast 2 kit. I want to set my design to use the proper screw hole size.

nathanstenzel

Postby nathanstenzel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:25 am

For now, I made the assumption that scale of 100% is the correct size for the holes for the chicago screws. I have just committed a change where all but the screw holes in the thumb will obey a scale_screws boolean value.

nathanstenzel

Postby nathanstenzel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:27 am

For now, I am assuming that 100% scale for the cyborg beast 2 kit is the normal sized hole for the chicago screws. Does that sound right?

nathanstenzel

Postby nathanstenzel » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:17 pm

It looks like scaling the width also adjusts the height. Also, if you get too much of a difference, we still get bad results, just like we did with the STL file.

Return to “Hands”