Velcro, leather and foam

For discussion of hand designs.
hertfordkc

Velcro, leather and foam

Postby hertfordkc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:36 pm

I've not seen any posts comparing different methods of securing the device palm and bracer.
I'd guess that Peregrine Hawthorn's Talon arrangement would be a clear winner for carrying buckets and lifting weights. Has anyone tried to confirm this. If so, why isn't leather - velcro recommended for all devices? Maybe hygiene? Cost? Difficulty of fitting?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Velcro, leather and foam

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:54 am

Leather is most definitely the best choice for bracers (and other parts).

I think the only reason we're not using it everywhere is how intimidating it can be. It's not that difficult to use, but it looks it. When you have a 3D printer at your disposal, it's easy to want to print everything, but things like bracers don't work so well in layers of hard plastic. The layers delaminate easily, and the plastic and Velcro tend to do a less than adequate job at distributing the force of the hands across the users arm.

I would be all in favor of us using leather in all the hands. It feels amazing and is far more durable.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

PeterBinkley

Postby PeterBinkley » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Yeah, we definitely need to move toward leather bracers and palms. They are much more comfortable than Velcro alone. Leather is really easy to use, but has somehow maintained a mystique that people find intimidating.
Have courage, my friends!

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Peregrine, tell me more about leather, please.

I'm imagining just printing a tensioner box with a kind of slot on the bottom, so that it can be sewn onto the top of the bracer. I'm also imagining that the hinge pins could be made to sew onto the bracer as well. How do you deal with those things?

In addition, how do you attach it? Do you also use velcro, or did you sew on a buckle?

Do you add any kind of lining?

What kind of thread do you suggest?

I'd be interested in any other details.

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:03 pm

We don't actually use any thread at all. You can run a screw through the leather, to bite directly into the plastic. I have machine screws running through pre-drilled holes in my bracer, and holding my palm and upper to the plastic unipalm. Nylon straps with velcro can be put in between the plastic frame and the bracer leather for a closing mechanism.

I find it helps to have some good stiff leather in the bracer for structural support, thick leather in the palm to take the most abuse, and a soft upper for comfort. There's no lining built into the hand, but I generally wear a sock under all my hands, leather or plastic.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Well, I tried looking for leather at a local market today. The only stuff I found was too thin. I'm looking at ordering leather online, but I'm not sure how to tell if it is stiff or not from the webpages.

I've managed to find a few pages that list the thickness of the leather in mm. Is that useful? If so what is a good thickness? I've about leather that's about 1mm and other than is about 3mm.

PeterBinkley

Postby PeterBinkley » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:47 am

LeatherThickness.jpg
LeatherThickness.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

Leather thickness is usually measured in ounces. Here's a chart to help out, so anyone who reads this can follow.
The palm should be about 3mm thick, so about 7oz. If it is hard, get it wet and bend it around vigorously until it's soft.
The bracer can be about 4-5oz, so 1.5-2mm. I've used some pretty soft stuff, but Peregrine prefers it to be a bit rigid. So basic vegetable-tanned leather is great, with a beeswax waterproofer, like you'd use on your boots.
If you're making an upper (to go over the back of the hand) 3-4oz is good (~1.5mm) and work it nice and soft so it will be comfortable.
You will want a decent pair of scissors to cut your leather, and a small leather hole punch to make holes for the screws.
I hope this helps.

Jason M Bryant

Postby Jason M Bryant » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:50 am

That was very helpful! I'll order some leather and let you know how it goes.

Return to “Hands”