Where to Tie Elastic on Raptor Reloaded?

For discussion of hand designs.
joecross

Where to Tie Elastic on Raptor Reloaded?

Postby joecross » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 pm

I've noticed that some folks are tying the elastic for the fingers of the new Raptor Reloaded around the channels themselves rather than running them up to the wrist holes (see photo). The official Instructables assembly instructions have them running up to the wrist, though. It seems like using the channels would keep the elastic and non-elastic lines from rubbing together, making a smoother action. Is there a reason to run the elastic all the way up to the wrist? If it's best practice to tie it at the channel, are there any instructions on how to do that? Is it one line run from the pointer to the middle finger and one for the pinky to the ring finger? Or is it four lines tied together under the channel where I can't see the knots? :?:

Tied at wrist

vs.

Tied at channel

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: Where to Tie Elastic on Raptor Reloaded?

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:53 am

Tied at the wrist is FAR superior to tied at the knuckle. A longer run will make the tension not ramp so quickly, robbing the user of all their strength when their hand is fully closed.

On another note, the elastics are practically disposable. Hair ties and other elastics don't last very long before the rubber breaks. Having the elastics tied at the wrist makes it FAR easier to replace them.

(Note, I've stopped using elastics entirely in my hand, and I love it. Bowden push-pull cables are SO much more comfortable.)
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

joecross

Re: Where to Tie Elastic on Raptor Reloaded?

Postby joecross » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:27 am

Peregrine Hawthorn wrote:Tied at the wrist is FAR superior to tied at the knuckle.

(Note, I've stopped using elastics entirely in my hand, and I love it. Bowden push-pull cables are SO much more comfortable.)

Thanks Peregrine, I couldn't ask for better feedback than from a user. I'll tie them at the wrist until I can learn more about your push/pull cables. Would you mind posting some brief comments and pictures to the forum? I recall your Talon 2.x launch G+ post mentioned it, but I don't fully understand how you implemented it. Thanks again!

Return to “Hands”