new volunteer printing first hand

For discussion of hand designs.
don n

new volunteer printing first hand

Postby don n » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:31 pm

I'm a brand new volunteer in the process of fabricating my first Raptor hand. I am using my local library 's brand new 3D printer (MakerBot Replicator) with files downloaded from e-Nable Handomatic for a 70mm left hand. I have "printed" the gauntlet using STANDARD resolution. The gauntlet appears sturdy but its curved portion, particularly the inner surface, is not smooth like the sidewalls and and has a some small sort of porous spots. i don't know if this is normal or if there is something I am doing incorrectly in the layout and print process. I oriented the gauntlet layout on the print plate so the long axis faced front to back. Thanks for whatever advice you can give me. I do have two photos but don't think i can attach them here. - don n

Peregrine Hawthorn

Re: new volunteer printing first hand

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi Don.

Everything sounds pretty normal. That design calls for a foam lining on the one surfaces of the printed plastic. No plastic should actually contact the users skin.

One thing to look out for, however, is to not your the elastics too tight. I find a lot of hands are made unusable because the fingers snap to attention too well, and can't be closed.

Good luck on your first hand!
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

don n

Postby don n » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:06 am

Thanks so much for your help. It gives me confidence that I am heading in the right direction. Not having done this before, I have no experience as to what is normal. - don n

LydiaOST

Postby LydiaOST » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:28 am

May I move this topic to the Getting Started sub-forum?
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

Return to “Hands”