Bracer; Gauntlet; Sleeve; Cuff; Bracelet

For discussion of hand designs.
PeterBinkley

Bracer; Gauntlet; Sleeve; Cuff; Bracelet

Postby PeterBinkley » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:45 am

This is a discussion of bracers, which are often referred to as gauntlets.

PeterBinkley

Re: Bracer; Gauntlet; Sleeve; Cuff; Bracelet

Postby PeterBinkley » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:45 am

Disambiguation
Technically, a gauntlet is a glove. One wears gauntlets like one wears mittens, but with fingers.
A bracer is a garment worn on the forearm.
Many e-Nable designs called gauntlets, are actually bracers.
So an e-Nable "gauntlet" is worn as a bracer, bracelet, sleeve or cuff.
I would personally prefer that we decide on a term that Google Translate handles well (like bracelet) and stick with it moving forward.
Is there a concise Latin term we could consider?

AdamArabian

Postby AdamArabian » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:06 am

I am in favor of this clarification in terminology. Perhaps we could use one of the exploded view drawings of the raptor to label parts so we are all able to talk common terms?

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:07 am

Also in favor of bracer or bracelet. Gauntlet is confusing and won't translate correctly.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

hertfordkc

Postby hertfordkc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:25 am

Works for me.

laird

Postby laird » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Since the "gauntlet" is only the outer half of the arm, and it's the length of the arm, perhaps "bracer" is better than "sleeve" (which goes all the way around) or cuff (which is just the end of the sleeve)?

Or am I being too literal? :-)
- Laird Popkin

AdamArabian

Postby AdamArabian » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:46 pm

I don't think its too literal - there are things with these names already (from armory) so if we try to change them it is inherently incorrect.

HOWEVER - bracer is not in the normal parlance so I have no qualms going with what is most accepted.

LydiaOST

Postby LydiaOST » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Yeah, I would go with bracer. Its current usage in English is the most accurate for what we're talking about. A gauntlet is an entire glove that covers up to mid-forearm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_%28glove%29
The word "Bracelet" is heavily associated with jewelry in English, and "sleeve" with shirts.

We do have exploded view pics of at least one design, so it might be nice to agree on terms and label one of those with said terms as suggested.

And just for fun:
A thread about the historicity of bracers at all
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.16206.html
We could get quite distracted with off-topic chatter I imagine... ;) No thread-hijacking going on here, though. :)
--Lydia
eNABLE'S Organizational Support Team founder, Team Facilitation Team member, eNABLE Help Desk member, Google Plus teacher, and Junior Forum Admin.

ksweens

Postby ksweens » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:30 am

Throwing my hat in for bracer as well.

Unofficial research: 5th grade brother and friends think that "bracer" is a fun word to say (and now they've been driving me nuts for the past half hour while I play around with a Raptor model in AutoCAD). Looks like it has support from one of the target age groups :lol:

jameshs

Postby jameshs » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 pm

how about "forearm bracer" for the hands and "upper arm bracer" for the arms - if we are naming then we should think holistically!

James
James

James Holmes-Siedle
jhs@allclear.co.uk
www.allclear.co.uk

laird

Postby laird » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Components_of_medieval_armour was highly entertaining, full of wonderful obscure terms. For example:

• Rerebrace or Brassart or Upper Cannon (of Vambrace): Plate that covers the section of upper arm from elbow to area covered by shoulder armour.
  • Vambrace or Lower Cannon (of Vambrace): Forearm guard. May be solid metal or splints of metal attached to a leather backing. Developed in antiquity but named in the 14th century. Vambrace may also sometimes refer to parts of armour that together cover the lower and upper arms.
  • Gauntlet: Gloves that cover from the fingers to the forearms, made from many materials. (So the whole hand assembly?)
  • Couter or cowter: Plate that guards the elbow, eventually became articulated, may be covered by guard of vambrace (see below).
  • Spaulder: Bands of plate that cover the shoulder and part of upper arm but not the armpit. Cover the shoulder (with a dome shaped piece called a shoulder cop), armpit and sometimes the back and chest.

And there's a whole set of Japanese names for the parts, too!

Now I'm imagining assembly instructions that say things like "assemble the Lower Cannon of Vambrace to the Couter using M3-10 bolts." :|
- Laird Popkin

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah, we should probably strike a balance between the proper terms, and what's actually understood by the general population.

Forearm/upper arm bracer does this pretty well. It states pretty well what it is, and where it belongs in the arm or hand without sounding like gibberish.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

Return to “Hands”