Design Goals and Processes

For discussion of hand designs.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
andreas
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Design Goals and Processes

Postby andreas » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47 am

Jason M Bryant

Re: Design Goals and Processes

Postby Jason M Bryant » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:49 am

I'd like to add something. The ability to pick things up of various shapes and sizes. When I try to pick something up, the easiest things to grab are upright cylinders, like water bottles. The hardest things are flat objects, like cell phones. If I pick it up with my other hand and put it in the plastic hand, the hand can hold it. I just can't get it off the table and into the fingers without help from the other hand.

LesHall

Postby LesHall » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:22 pm

This brings to mind something I've noticed about our R&D meetings: there is little discussion about what recipients actually report in terms of usage practicality. Mostly we try to imagine what a recipient would experience and those among us who have had experience with the recipients explain to people like myself who have zero recipient experience what a recipient might think or feel about some suggestion I make or whatever. It might be a big step forward to have some recipients actually attend a meeting to resolve any such concerns.

Les

Peregrine Hawthorn

Postby Peregrine Hawthorn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20 pm

I'll just point out that my Talon does all of this except a zipper, toothbrush, and laces, and that last one is the only one I've wanted it to do. (ok, maybe it's not that lean, but I break anything thinner.)

And yes, it's great at holding things, but picking them up is another story entirely. I usually pick things up with one hand to put it into the other.
Heavy duty hand user, and co-designer of the Talon.

I break hands and then tell you how I did it.

LesHall

Postby LesHall » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Peregrine,

I have not seen you at the last few R&D meetings. We'd love to see you there.

Les

AdamArabian

Postby AdamArabian » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:16 am

I'd suggest removing "where possible" for both anthropomorphic geometry and leanness. I think these are just as critical as the other factors and shouldn't be sacrificed. The rest of the list is a dream sheet and those should be too.

I'd also add however:
-Ability to easily modify basic design for "superhero" systems (for kids)
-Interface with commercially available cosmetic gloves (primarily relevant for xradial mods)

Jfwinston

Postby Jfwinston » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm

I think another valuable design goal should be ability to clean/sanitize. Wouldn't it be useful if the entire hand could be thrown into the dishwasher?

A certified prosthetist met with us last week and explained that she believed sanitization and the interface between device and human (sock, foam) should be main priorities.
Co-lead at e-NABLE Portland, mechanical engineer, and no idea what I'm doing

rawand

Postby rawand » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 am

great to see this useful post...
Graduated from University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

manymaniyaa

Postby manymaniyaa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:51 pm

freddrich

Postby freddrich » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Return to “Hands”