University Collaborations

jenowen_enable

University Collaborations

Postby jenowen_enable » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:08 pm

It is increasingly obvious that we are getting more and more University groups working specifically on 3D printed e-NABLE designs and this would be a great place to share what your University and teams are working on and get to connect with each other so we can start a University specific R&D group based on collecting all of the brilliant minds that we have currently working toward improving these designs!

Please share some info about yourselves!

1. University and Location
2. How many are in your R&D group.
3. What you might be working on that is related to e-NABLE designs.
4. What kind of departments have you pulled together to form your group on campus. (Engineering + Robotics + Electrical Engineers + Artists etc)
5. If you have a facebook/twitter page - please share a link!
6. If you would be interested in collaborating with other Universities around the globe to start student led projects related to e-NABLE designs!
7. Anything else you would like to share!

Thank you all for everything you are doing to help create positive change in the lives of others! What you do with your ideas - matters!

jk13fair

Re: University Collaborations

Postby jk13fair » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:21 am

Hi, my name is Joe Fairley and I would like to introduce e-NABLE-Siena College. I wanted to create a structured branch of e-NABLE at my college, Siena College in Loudonville, NY, in order to expand the amazing influence that e-NABLE has had over the past couple years. With the formation of our group within the past few weeks, we are currently made up of 9 students ranging in experience and focus. At the moment we are waiting to hear back from a family to initiate the whole process between recipient and fabricator, and in the mean time, assessing our capabilities so that we might contribute to the research and design of different hand prosthetics. As far as the different departments that we are involved with; our members consist of physics and chemistry majors with many more on the way, I'm sure. We also work closely with the Dean of the School of Science. If you would like to check out our group and follow our progress, you should check out our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/ENABLESIENACOLLEGE. Thank you and for anyone that would want to reach out to us, please don't hesitate to post on our Facebook page, or find me through e-NABLE's Google+ page!

Robbieoconnor

Postby Robbieoconnor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi there, my name is Robbie O'Connor and I lecture in mechanical engineering in the Institute of Technology, Tallaght, which is based in Dublin, Ireland. http://www.ittd.ie . We have recently formed an e-nable group within the college made up of approx. 10 staff and students from our mechanical and Electronic engineering departments. We hope to be able to help out in the design developments, were needed, both on the mechanical and electronic side. We also hope to provide a location that can serve as a central support resource for the fabricators here in Ireland and maybe the UK where we can pool our experience of design and fabrication to date.
We would be delighted to hear from any other colleges/universities in Ireland or the UK where we can combine our efforts , pick each others brains, and continue with this great work. I can be contacted at robbie.oconnor@ittdublin.ie.. , We still have to setup a facebook page but will get one up and running asap.

Thanks a million ,
Robbie

dellis

Postby dellis » Thu May 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi, My name is Dave Ellis. I lecture in Technology Education at Southern Cross University in the beautiful Coffs Harbour, Australia. I am very interested in future action research and collaborative work.

Fell free to email me on david.ellis@scu.edu.au.

UVADavid

Postby UVADavid » Fri May 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Hello my name is David and I'm at the University of Virginia. I am in the department of biomedical engineering and have collaborations with the department of orthopedic surgery. Would love to see how we can collaborate for curriculum development but also implementing Enabling hands in our clinics. dc9rk <at> virginia.edu

blanche

Postby blanche » Mon May 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Hello all,
My name is Blanche and I am an assistant professor at Touro College, Bay Shore NY. I teach in the occupational therapy department and am also a certified hand therapist (CHT). We just were awarded a grant for a 3D printer and while we are waiting to get through the paperwork process I am eager to start building knowledge. I will be pushing in to existing classes on advance pediatrics and advance hand therapy seminar to introduce 3D printing to the students and help them to discover ways 3D printing can facilitate change with the populations they will be working with as professional OT’s.
I know that some people are looking to print, if anyone wants to print a hand and donate it to my students so they can learn how to assemble it, it would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Blanche

scottcollins

Postby scottcollins » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Hello fellow instructors,
My name is Scott Collins. I, along with my colleague, Dennis Huston, are Computer-Aided Design Program instructors at Ventura Adult and Continuing Education, Ventura Unified School District in Ventura, CA. We teach CAD design using AutoCAD, SolidWorks and Revit software and 3D Prototyping using two Stratasys uPrint SE 3D printers that we use in our Career Technical Education job training courses. As an outreach to our community, we already offer the use of our 3D printers, and we are thrilled to expand that contribution by partnering with E-Nable creating 3D printed prosthetics.

We’ve already printed several “Raptor” hands in different sizes and colors which my students are eagerly assembling. We’re working with a team of doctors and therapists from Community Memorial Hospital here in Ventura. The team includes a Pediatrics doctor, a plastic surgeon, and a hand therapist. They are all VERY excited about collaborating with us to find patients who might be able to use these amazing gifts. Knowing how fast kids grow, (They grow out of their shoes every few months) the ability to print new prosthetics as they grow, for $40.00 instead of 50 or $60, 000, is simply mind-blowing to all of us.

We are also eagerly getting involved with “Unlimited Tomorrow” and “Born Just Right”, two organization that are also doing amazing work.
http://www.bornjustright.com/
http://www.unlimitedtomorrow.com/

Unlimited Tomorrow came up with a Robotic full arm controlled by the user’s mind
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015102 ... cs-cheaper

Return to “Curriculum Development”